What's new

First time post. I need some advice. (1 Viewer)

Laish Morse

Auditioning
Hi. I am very glad to have run across this forum. So far it's the best I have seen concerning HT. I am in need of some help/advice.
First of all everything I have is in need of an upgrade. However I do not have the money to go out and replace everything. What I want to know is what you all think should be my first step be. The receiver or the speakers first? Currently I have a cheap AIWA HT receiver that I purchased used for $50 (it included 5 satellites and a powered sub). For the surrounds I use the AIWA speakers that came with it. The front channels are 3 dual cube Bose speakers given to me by a customer of mine. I know people here do not like Bose and although I have been happy with them I realize that there are better sounding speakers for a lot less. So my question is what needs/should go first?
I have been looking at the following equipment

Receiver
Yamaha 5790
Sony STR-DE897 or 997
Onkyo 502

Speakers
Athena Micro6

Subwoofer
keeping the Infinity that I have had for years.

I appreciate all of your input.

Laish A. Morse
Windsor, VT

John S

Senior HTF Member
Budget????

Go buy an Onkyo 770 system. Sell off the lesser of the two subs. It really is going to be your cheapest best way to go.

Once you have that, then you can do better speakers and such if you feel the need.

These Onkyo systems come with a full featured 6.1 AVR which is great to build off of in various ways.

I just can't fathom attempting to run decent speakers off of your current setup, but I also can't fathom hooking up a decent AVR to the speakers you already have.

Best of luck with it for sure.

Laish Morse

Auditioning
Hi and thanks for the reply. I guess I didn't really think about a budget. I usually do what it takes to buy the right thing. Even if it takes a while. Over all I was thinking in the $500 to $1000 dollar range and that depends on if I find a "System in a box" that met my needs. My main feature in a receiver is digital inputs. I need them for DVD, SAT, Playstation & LD player. I no longer own a VHS, Tape or Record player. I just looked at the Onkyo 770 system you reccomended and I have to admit that I missed that one. I am in the process of looking through the manual right now. It has the right amount of Digital inputs and looks like a great "start over" system. I hope there is a place locally that has it so I can audition it.

I had great stuff several years ago, but with the divorce went the house, land & the toys. I could have gotten the AV stuff, but getting out was the number one priority.

At any rate are there any other brands of "in a box" solutions that I might have missed? Thanks for you help John S.

LM

John S

Senior HTF Member
There are some others. I just haven't found any for the money that measure up to the Onkyo's. You get so much decent quality stuff with it. Most others just seem to have a glare'n difficiency somewhere. The Onkyo is a good performer, I have installed many for people in their homes and budget theaters, more than enough for the average Joe indeed.

Laish Morse

Auditioning
I have just spent the last hour or so reading various reviews from various websites. I have not read one negative review out of the 60 or so that I have read. I think this may be the one. There is one local Onkyo dealer that I am going to call tomorrow. They do tend to over price stuff. If I can't get it for list then I will have to drive an hour to listen/pick it up.

Thanks again

LM

Laish Morse

Auditioning
Well I made a road trip today to listen to this HTIB and I was a little annoyed. I told my myself that if I heard them and liked them I was going to buy them. I went to CC in a town and hour and a half away and luck would have it that the power in that isle went out for some reason so I was not able to hear them. Strange thing was I found a cousin of mine working as a manager there. I complained to him about it and he said it wasn't his half of the store and they were already working on it.
So I went to another CC on the way back home. I had called them yesterday and they said they had them in stock. I went in and there it was. Bad news again. The DVD player that was hitched to it would not open. The guy put in a music cd in another player for me and I started to play around with it. I noticed the sub wasn't working so I checked the wiring. It was powered on and hitched up. but no sound. I went over to the guy and asked him if I could see the manual and he said there wasn't one. I told him the sub wasn't working and he came over and messed around with the buttons for a minute then looked at me and shrugged. What the hell? I have real bad luck at these stores. Nothing works. At least the stuff I want to see. I complained to the manager then left. I was very impressed with the sound. The speakers are huge (in comparison) and produced good midrange. I should have purchased it, but I told myself I wanted to hear it operating. Thanks for the advice. I know that I will get it, but I want to hear a working unit before I buy.

LM

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks