What's new

First time Plasma buyer here...need info on setup concerns / calibration (1 Viewer)

FuzzyReets

Auditioning
Real Name
Brant
Hi folks. So I just ordered the Samsung 58" PN58B550 which I should get sometime next week. I wanted to do some further research on the setup and such before I get it. I have done a little reading and have a couple concerns being that this is my first plasma TV.

I've been reading that you have to "baby" it for the first 200-300 hours by lowering contrast levels and such. I'm not sure what the parameters for this are but I'd like to know to make sure I take care of it correctly right out of the box.

Secondly I'm reading that this TV has a lot of calibration options and that these need to be setup correctly. I'm a novice to most of this stuff especially calibration which I have never done. I read the calibration information from here (http://reviews.plasmatvbuyingguide.c...libration.html) but I cant' imagine that one group of settings will just be best for everyone or am I wrong?

Need help with this stuff. Much appreciated!

SethH

Senior HTF Member
For the first 100-300 hours you should keep your brightness and contrast below 50%. Some new plasma owners use a slideshow of different colored slides to break-in their plasmas. It is something you should read up on . . . I don't have a strong opinion on the break-in vs "no need to break-in" debate.

Once you have done your initial 100-300 hours is when you should calibrate. There are several sites where people post their post-calibration settings. Using these is a good place to start . . . then you can use a good calibration disc to dial it in a little tighter for your specific set . . .because all sets will be slightly different.

FuzzyReets

Auditioning
Real Name
Brant
Hi Seth,

Thanks for the reply. Do you know where I can find more info about these slides you mention? Also, what sites post the calibration information? Thanks again for your information.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Just use the tv normally and reduce the amount of static images on the tv. forget about the break in patterns. A waste of energy. Just watch the tv and be responsible about it.

regards

FuzzyReets

Auditioning
Real Name
Brant
Hi folks. I ordered a Samsung PN58B550 58" Plasma last night and I'm looking around for a wall mount. I like the Omnimounts but they are so expensive compared to others and I'm trying to find out if others have experience with other brands. I saw the "Hercules(by Opteka) HRM-100" on amazon and that looks like it gets good reviews. Also saw some on toptvmounts.com. I just don't understand why the Omnimounts cost so much. Looking for good alternatives but don't want to have to worry about it falling off the wall. Thanks.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Brant,

Your new post/thread was moved to this one. Please keep communications concise!
Thanks.

Cees

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Originally Posted by Michael TLV

Greetings

Just use the tv normally and reduce the amount of static images on the tv. forget about the break in patterns. A waste of energy. Just watch the tv and be responsible about it.

regards
Precisely,

I owned a 57" CRT based Sony rptv for over 5 years. This was the tech that had 3 crts blazing away pointed at a mirror in the back which reflected the image onto the back of the screen--huge, heavy, and more prone to burn in than any modern plasma ever dreamed of being.

I kept contrast and brightness below 50% and used common sense about static images (kept 'em down to less than 15 minutes or so when new). Once it was broken in I played hours of video games, countless 2:35 AR movies, and always set my Directv box for black rather than the gray sidebars--not a trace of burn in ever. That set's now in it's 9th year and with it's third owner (sorta kept it in the family) and still looks pretty damn good.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks