What's new

First-time manual calibration question... (1 Viewer)

Vader

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Derek
Ok, I just finished a complete recalibration of my audio after getting a 16-46 PCi sub using DVE, including calibration of the sub itself. There have been several threads concerning the subwoofer signal on DVE, and my understanding from these is that the sub signal is 10dB too hot in the test patterns. I have never done a manual calibration before, so I wanna make sure I did this right.

1)Used the auto-setup on my Denon to verify speaker phase, set distance for delay time, and do a rough SPL balance.

2)Fine-tuned the SPL balance using the 6.1 pink noise test on DVE. All channels were set to 74dB at an AVR setting of –02dB (I know, not Dolby standard), and the sub to 84-85dB.

3)Set the sub phase by maximizing the bass SPL in a bassy loop (in this case, the menu to “Godzilla”)

My question is, outside of channel equalization, did I miss anything? John Garcia?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Well, the real question is, how does it sound? :D It doesn't sound like you missed anything. The sub is the one place whre you may still need to play around, many people run their sub a few dB hot because the calibrated level may not give you exactly what sounds "right" to you. I run my sub between 1 and 2dB hot myself.

Vader

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Derek
Thanx, John! - If anything, I might have went a tad overkill on the sub (not that that's a bad thing). When I calibrated it to 10dB above the other channels w/ DVE, I had everything in the room shaking... In a word, it blew me away! (pun intended). The real test will come tonight when I play "Batman Begins" for my brother (who is not convinced of the necessity for a sub in the first place). I need to get a picture of the look on his face :D

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Batman Begins will be a good place to start :D Pretty decent LFE in some spots, and will definitley prove your point. Maybe a little War of the Worlds or The Incedibles too ;) A sub is a must. Good job man.

DarrenAlan

Stunt Coordinator
Find the DTS thematic (the ones they play once you select "DTS" from the DVD menu; for example, there's one of piano hammers hitting the wires) from "Chicken Run" and set your volume to about 7. That's blast his eyebrows back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks