1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

First Time Home Theater Buyer...help Me Make Good Decisions!!

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Chip Brogden, Jul 21, 2003.

1. Chip Brogden

Chip Brogden Extra

Right now I am in the process of selecting loud speakers to go with my set up. I am running a Pioneer Elite 43tx and I am in the process of getting a SVS PB1-ISD.

I have narrowed the loud speakers down to Paradigm(Phantom-fronts, CC-270-center, ADP-170-surround) and Axiom (Millennia M50TI-fron, QS4-surround, VP100-Center)

I will use them about 90% movies, 10% music. I favor the Paradigm's simply because I can buy them locally and don't have to worry about dealing through the net. I don't have the funds to audition so I am relying on you guys to steer me right. Thank you all for the help.

Also, what would you pay for the Paradigm's stated above?????

2. Jeffrey R

Jeffrey R Stunt Coordinator

Chip,

If you do go with the Axioms, if you can afford it, definitely go with the VP150 over the VP100, and next if possible, go with the QS8's over the QS4's. While you're at it, you can then upgrade the M50 to the M60. Having said that, the M50's with VP150 and QS4 or QS8's would be an excellent system.

I own Axioms and am very happy with them. Anecdotally (since I have never heard Paradigms), Axioms and Paradigms sound similar, but you can get more bang for your buck with Axioms. Good luck with your search.

3. Ron_L

Ron_L Second Unit

Here is the best advice yet:

Stay away from Bose.....and stay away from Sony.

Abide by those simple rules and you will become a HT golden god!

4. Chip Brogden

Chip Brogden Extra

Thanks for all the advice...good stuff.

Anyone else? Keep it coming!

5. Kevinkall

Kevinkall Second Unit

I just started my system upgrade with the Paradigm CC-170 center channel and will be adding Paradigm Titans for my mains and Paradigm Micros for my surrounds. I can only comment on the CC-170 so far, but I've heard the other speakers I will be adding(very soon)and was BLOWN away by there sound for the price! The CC-170 is a great sounding center and one of the best I've found in it's price range. There are better centers out there, but I doubt that you will find a better one for the price. I would go with the Paradigms, great sound for the price!

6. David Sailor

David Sailor Agent

Paradigm's are the only speakers I have ever had in my HT, so yes, I'm probably biased and quite possibly ignorant of other fine speakers out there. That being said, I will refer to how well that have held up: perfectly after owning them for 7 years, not a single problem and they have had a lot of use. I also love their sound. I had both Klipsch Heresey's and the Cornwalls prior to setting up the HT, they played loud but to me I like the warmth of the Paradigm's. David

7. Chip Brogden

Chip Brogden Extra

thanks for the info.

Man this is a tough decision without auditioning. I was swinging towards Axiom but after the last two post....hmmm.

I guess its safe to say that I cant go wrong either way?

8. Ron_L

Ron_L Second Unit

I too am in favor of paradigm.

I went from a JBL setup to Paradigm Reference.....couldn't be happier.

9. Philip A

Philip A Agent

Not to make you rethink everything, but, Marc at the Audio Shop steered me to Dahlquists over the Axioms and Paradigms last summer when I was getting my first HT.

I've had a lot of music experience, but was new to the whole HT thing...

Anyway, unheard, I trusted Marc and the many wonderful reports about him from on-line forums like this, and ordered the Dahlquists and have had them right about a year. It get's tough with all the cliche's out there, but I'm incredibly happy with the 6.1 set up I have (QX 10's and 60C across the front with QX6's and a QX4 across the sides and back; also have an older M&K 12" sub). I like movies a lot and find that these are able to capture the realism and believability you want when trying to get absorbed in a film. Latest suspension of disbelief was "The Mothman Prophecies" this weekend--very interesting sound effects in this film, going from very subtle to in-your-face. My Nephew was here visiting (he's got Klipsch himself) and he was very impressed. He asked me several times how much they cost me (evidently they were less $ than his and sounded better!). The Dahlquists just amaze me every time I listen to them.

The Dahlquists are great for music as well (Norah Jones, Collective Soul, Sting, E.S. Posthumous, etc. all sound incredible). In fact, my wife actually, without duress, on her first look/listen said that she was happy I got them! This was in spite of the fact that they were more than we had planned to spend (though a real bargain in A/V land). That's pretty significant to me because she's not into movies or music (like many spouses I'm sure).

You can check out the Dahl's at http://www.dahlquistaudio.com or at Marc's site for the Audio Shop at http://www.audioshop.on.ca/

Best to you--it's been a great year of movies, music and family--you're in for a great time.

10. Chip Brogden

Chip Brogden Extra

you guys are making this tough! I was hoping to get a definitive answer. I am just as unsure now as before.[​IMG] Good info though, thanks to all.

Please keep it coming!

11. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

Another good net direct company is Ascend Acoustics( www.ascendacoustics.com ). While the site doesn't have it yet the 340 center is available for l/r you just have to call them for it.

Also, somewere on the Axiom site there is a listing for people who will host you in their home to hear their Axioms. Check it out and see if there is someone near you.

12. Chip Brogden

Chip Brogden Extra

good idea Chris, thanks!