First time DIY ( Tempest)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Nathan J, Sep 23, 2002.

1. Nathan J

Nathan J Stunt Coordinator

Well, I will be ordering the sub today, as well as picking up building materials, probably gonna use MDF, and then cover it with veneer, and maybe a formica top...use it as an end table [​IMG]
    Anyway, Space IS an issue, but I can do a fairly large box...here are my requirements:
    10 cubes or under , the smaller, the better
    play low...really low (17hz?)
    Accurate for music
    Loud as F**K for movies.
    So what I need to know is,what size box, tuned to what? Also, any ideas on finishes or ways to make it look pretty are welcome. [​IMG]
    The reciever I have is a Yamaha HTR - 5460, and I wil be using the plate amp (700 - 394 ) from parts express.

2. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Well a Dan Wiggins recommened allignment that should meet your goals is a 8ft^3 enclosured tuned to 18hz with a 6" diameter port. Power with a 250W plate amp and you'll have a big grin on your face.

3. Nathan J

Yea, me amd my friend modeled it up in WinISD...I think I am going to to 8 cubes tuned to 17-20 hz.

4. Casey H

Casey H Stunt Coordinator

Nathan,

I am currently building that Dan Wiggins design that Dustin told you about. I am using 24" tube with a 22.5" port puts me at around 18Hz. I even emailed Dan for "validation" with my specs, he said I should rattle some teeth with that design! :)

Casey

5. Nathan J

how tall of a tube?

6. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

17hz! you crazy? [​IMG] Ain't no box gonna make the tempest play smoothly down that low. I don't even think a Tumult can.
    What you will likely end up with is a tempest that will play smooth to the mid 20hz area, and then start to slope down so its -3db down point is at like 22-24hz.
    "Accurate for music" and "Loud as F**K for movies" competes with eachother. I'd start with a bass reflex (ported) and then choose a direction to lean towards or pick an enclosure type in the middle.

7. Manuel Delaflor

Manuel Delaflor Supporting Actor

Chris,

How come a single Tempest is not clean in your opinion? Regarding THD, at least, I can tell you that I get more than 100dB at less than 10% THD with a 18Hz tone.