What's new

First there was THEM!....., Now comes THEY (1 Viewer)

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
Director Robert Harmon is responsible for making one of my top 3 favorite films of all time, the masterpiece that is THE HITCHER. He now has another horror film coming up, THEY.

Starring Laura Regan, Marc Blucas, Ethan Embry, Dagmara Dominczyk, Jon Abrahams.

.....Julia Lund (Regan) is a successful young grad student with a loving boyfriend and a promising career in psychology. Her life is seemingly perfect, until a troubling encounter with an old friend forces her to revisit the paralyzing night terrors she experienced as a child. What's weirder is that she discovers that she's not the only one who feels like this......

Sounds pretty damn good to me, and coming from Harmon, I have high expectations for it!

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
In all honesty, THEY is pretty muchly one of my more anticipated films of the year! Here is a pretty cool review from AICN:
I had never heard of this movie before, knew nothing about the premise or the actors involved,
didn’t even know it was in production (I tend to visit sites like this on a regular basis so I just
assumed that nothing flies under the radar anymore). I was surprised by this movie, in both a
good way and a bad way. I was surprised because the film started out great and actually scared
the shit out of the audience. It had a great premise, decent actors, some really good scares and
some frightening creatures... and then it had to go and ruin it with one of the worst endings
I’ve seen in a long time.
Okay, I’m getting ahead of myself, here’s the basic set-up. A group of people who suffered
traumatic night terrors as children are being hunted by mysterious things that go bump in the
night (literally). It starts off with a bang. It opens on a dark and stormy night, a little kid
cowering under the covers, hiding from the typical childhood fears (boogeymen, werewolves,
whatever used to lurk under your bed when you were a kid). Then, he builds up the courage to
peer over the edge of his blanket, stare into his half-open closet... and see a monstrous shape
moving around in the darkness. Bang. That did it, I was hooked from that moment.
The rest of the story follows this girl named Julia, a college student who is suffering from
reoccurring night terrors after witnessing the suicide of a childhood friend. I don’t want to give
away too much but I will say that things get weird, the mysterious beasties show up and the
movie becomes a ‘fight for survival’ type of monster flick that comes to a screeching halt with
one horrifically bad ending! I’m serious, this ending pissed me off and ruined the movie (which
I would still recommend because of the first 90 minutes that kicked ass). You don’t start out
with a great beginning, maintain the suspense, the mystery and then disregard everything that
has come before by tacking on such a lame finale.
Now, I do know that they screened the same movie at two different times tonight. Judging by
the constant ‘How would you rate this ending?’ questions that made up a majority of the
questionnaire forms after the movie, I would bet that they screened two different cuts with two
different endings. I guess we got stuck with the crappy one. Jesus, I hope it was the crappy
one. I couldn’t imagine it getting much worse. Anyway, cool effects with spidery monsters that
screech and chirp in the dark (much like the aliens from PITCH BLACK). A lovely female lead
who can actually act instead of just screaming all of the time and a surprisingly decent
performance from Marc Blucas (Riley from ‘Buffy’!) as the concerned boyfriend.
-----------------------------
Okay, I am SOOOOOOOOOO hyped for this film! Come on, isn't anyone else at all on this board looking forward to this film?

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
Well, at least I've intrigued someone with this thread. Thanks for the reply, JohnE! :)

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
Well, it gets released this Friday, and I'm a little annoyed that they the Dimension idiots went and slapped the "Wes Craven presents" title on this film, seeing as he has absolutely nothing to do with it. Oh well, nonetheless, I'll be first in line this Friday.

Andy Olivera

Screenwriter
...and I'll be the first to preorder the DVD! I figure it'll last about two weeks in the top ten, then we'll have the announcement...

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
Oops, I meant that it starts next Friday, the 27th. Oh, and Andy, glad to see you are interested in this film too. :)

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
The trailer on TV looks pretty out there and may be worth seeing if it doesn't stray too far into NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET clone territory. Isn't it sad when something like that Blue Crush thing makes you second guess stuff on sites now? At least I never got bogus email for THEY yet!

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
Tommy Ceez, I happen to be a huge horror fan, and I look forward to most new horror films, so if you think I work for some studio, you need to think again! I have stated many times in the Polls section that THE HITCHER is a favorite of mine, so of course I'm going to look forward to the director's return to horror, plus THEY has a wonderful sounding plot. This board is to express opinions on movies, and that is what I did here, and I don't see you hijacking any other threads about upcoming films, so why don't you get lost!

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor
I thought this was going to be an announcement of a Them! remake, which I think could be great.
Oh well!

StevenJ

Stunt Coordinator
What exactly is this movie about?

What role does Wes Craven play in this release?

Previews look cool, but what the hell is it about?

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
Uh, maybe you should be a little more observant and check out my thread on this film just a few posts down. :p) Just to help, I'll raise it for you.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
It does look intriguing. However i'm still traumatized by the 'Wes Craven Presants...' line because of the awful memories I have of 'Wes Craven presents Carnival of Souls'. :frowning: :shudder:
But i'll check this out anyway. :)

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
Of course its a Wednesday, the day before Thanksgiving to be exact. I'm just used to films being released on Friday so I automatically typed it. I was going to edit it, but haven't gotten around to it.
John, that remake of CARNIVAL OF SOULS is one of the biggest travesties in the history of film, but no need to worry about this film. They just slapped that on there, and this is actually coming from the guy that brought us the masterful THE HITCHER, plus I love the film's plot idea! Can't wait till Wednesday!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks