What's new

First teaser up for The Last Samurai (1 Viewer)

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Really looking forward to this film. I don't expect this film to be a documentary, precisely chronicling every minutia of the Samurai.

I recall criticisms from a vocal minority in the same vein during the productions of Dances With Wolves and Braveheart. Despite the liberties taken for the sake of dramatization, those films are considered seminal works that proudly introduce the Lakota and Scottish cultures to the American zeitgeist.

It appears that Cruise & Co. are attempting to perform the same, bringing the nobler characteristics of samurai culture to the American forefront.

I can handle deviations from historical precision, as I understand that the filmmakers are trying to serve up a film more palatable to the general populous and not overburden it with exactitude that would invariably be lost on the mainstream.

todd stone

Screenwriter
Could this be the OSCAR Tom Cruise will get?

I still think he should have got one in Born on 4th of July

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Could this be the OSCAR Tom Cruise will get?
Frightfully off topic, but if he did win, it would be handed to him by Nicole Kidman. I'm sure she'd be very happy for him (they do get along now) but it's still one of those moments that "celebrity watchers" cherish.

I don't pay full price for any movie starring a $cientologist, so I'll be there for the matinee, day one. I can't wait! The previews look really good, and I'd see it for the New Zealand scenery in any case. :)

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
...New Zealand scenery...
WTF!?:confused: I love New Zealand scenery but I have always felt Japan has its own very distinctive look. Tom Cruise...as a Confederate samurai...in New Zealand. Give me a freakin' break! I don't care how good the reviews may be, I will not be watching this in theaters or DVD. I have too much respect for the far east. Maybe its my study of karate, appreciation of eastern philosophy, and the beauty of Japan that creates the prejudice but this is a travesty!

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
It is probably just as well that it was filmed in New Zealand...Japan is very heavily industrialized now - so the scenery would be compromised, and the extremely high cost of living would have bankrupted the production!

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I love New Zealand scenery but I have always felt Japan has its own very distinctive look. Tom Cruise...as a Confederate samurai...in New Zealand. Give me a freakin' break! I don't care how good the reviews may be, I will not be watching this in theaters or DVD. I have too much respect for the far east. Maybe its my study of karate, appreciation of eastern philosophy, and the beauty of Japan that creates the prejudice but this is a travesty!
This is a new one. You will not watch this movie because... it was not filmed on location. Interesting.

--
H

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
NO AL (authentic location) = NO SALE? Eek.

I guess you will never go see The Lord of the Rings or Star Wars, then :D

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
Union, my bad. I was thinking one and typed the other.:b

What's wrong with using an authentic location when it is readily available? It would cost more but it is available and there are still locations in Japan that aren't industrialized. I think paying attention to details in a film is very important. I've never been impressed with movies and TV shows that try to pass one place off for another as location is a big detail and it can be glaringly obvious.

The other thing that bothers me is Tom Cruise's formula is just plain old. With the possible exceptions of Eyes Wide Shut (I turned off after 5 min so I'm not sure of the formula) and Magnolia (which I've never and will never attempt to watch), he hasn't played a different role since Top Gun. The character may have a different name but everything else is basically the same. Not that some of them haven't been good, they have.

As for LOTR and Star Wars, we have to make do with what we can on this earth.:) I think NZ is perfect for LOTR. Star Wars...don't care anymore. The original 3 were fantastic and the last two, IMHO, are two of the worst movies I've ever seen and the third won't get a penny out of me. I'd rather watch Barbarella on a repeat loop.

Bill J

Senior HTF Member

You are depriving yourself from two excellent films. Why won't you give Magnolia a chance?

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
From the trailers and previews I saw there was nothing that grabbed my attention and I thought it looked boring.

Okay, I may have watched more than 5 minutes of Eyes Wide Shut, maybe 15-20. Both my wife and I found it to be a painful experience.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
EWS never really grabbed me. Several great Nicole Kidman nude scenes, though, so I DO own the DVD :b Yeah, I'm going to hell :b

I used to really dislike Cruise's acting, but he's improved quite a bit in recent years. I guess the Cameron Crowe association helped him a lot. I'm really looking forward to The Last Samurai. Cruise today is far from Cruise in 1986.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks