What's new

First system for college dorm (1 Viewer)

ChrisDix

Auditioning
I am looking to buy my first surround system for my dorm room. Right now i have a klipsch 2.1 system on my computer, but i would like to get a 5.1 system that is good for movies and music. I want all of this, but I dont know alot about HA. I want to first get the receiver and the 5.1 speakers. Then as money becomes available, I am going to buy a subwoofer. I am planning on getting the Fluance sx-htb for my speakers. I am not sure on what a good receiver is though. what are some decent receivers around 300? Is there anything else that I will need to get started that I am not thinking about?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Welcome to Home Theater Forum, Chris. Since you're asking about inexpensive receivers I've moved your post here. The Basics area is for general discussion at the beginner level, not for specific model recommendations. Best of luck on assembling your system. JB

Tim Stumpf

Stunt Coordinator
Look at the Onkyo 501 in that price range. Nice piece of gear for about $250 at circuit city (on sale). It will get you in the game and I think would have enough power for a dorm room.

AndrewErickson

Stunt Coordinator
Save your money and your friendship with your neighbors. Buy a system when you move out into the real world.

ChrisDix

Auditioning
Ok. thanks for the advice. How will I know when i enter this place you call the real world?

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
How big is this room that you're putting your speakers into Chris and conceptually, just how do you envision placing them once you get them?
That will happen once you start paying more in taxes and figure out your gazintas.

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
Chris, I would suggest putting a real system together now, if you feel like it and you're willing to spend money on it instead of other things. It's really worthwhile. That's what I did (though it was easier, since I'm not in college yet). However it may be hard to fit in a reasonable surround system to a dorm room. I'd go for a nice little stereo which can easily be expanded to 5.1 once you have more space.

Robert Cowan

Supporting Actor
i would throw in another suggestion for waiting until you at least move out of the dorms... i had some nice stuff in the dorms, some got stolen, the rest got trashed, and the rest was junk becuase i couldnt afford anything that great.

ChrisDix

Auditioning
As much as i hate to admit it, i guess getting a system right now is not the best decisions. i dont think i will have enough room for what i want. so i think i will wait til i get the full surround system. I am pretty happy with the klipsch 2.1, but now my question is can i upgrade just the subwoofer? Can i add an rw-12 or adire rava? would i have to buy a receiver to do this? i would like to get a decent subwoofer, so i just have to buy the surround speakers when im ready.

Joshua H

Stunt Coordinator
i for one built a surround system while i was living in the dorms. a 12x12 double. had a pair of speakers and a receiver hooked to my monitor for dvds, then a 2nd pair and moved the originals to the back, then a center on the monitor, and a sub under my bed. i wrote up my story on my equipment page, it's the little gear cog icon next to the light bulb.

if you want to a build a system, do it. if nothing else, get a decent-sized pair of bookshelves that you can move to surround later as your room allows. i just advise to think out in your head how you will expand the system over time so that your speakers match and you don't end up outright replacing old purchases.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
In a small room Chris, being forced to place larger speakers right against the wall isn't the best of scenarios. However, you could consider much smaller speakers like the Hsu Ventriloquists with a modest sub that wouldn't excessively intrude upon your space but still provide you with not only good sound but would be something that you could take with you when you move into your own place where they might serve admirably in your bedroom. The warranty is good and perhaps you might be able to find them used which would further stretch your college dollars.

VictorLS

Auditioning
I'm in a dorm Chris, and having a 7.1 system is excellent for me (5.1, if you prefer)
I have some large floorstanding mains, and a great reciever (Integra.) I do lock my door a lot, and I lose a lot of valuable floorspace, but for me it's all worth it. I listen to music all day long, and movies at my place are great.
A 2.1 system is a good start, listen to Joshua's advise though... he makes a good point about expanding the system later.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks