What's new

First Surround Sound Purchase (1 Viewer)

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
The Take Classic speakers are wall-mountable. Look at the back of the speaker and you will see the bracket on the top. They also have the standard 1/4" screw inset for using after-market brackets (I dounloaded their manual to be sure). The htib systems from Sony, Samsung, LG, etc are usually not recommended for their lack of inputs, poor sound quality due to low quality speakers and subwoofer and if one part breaks you usually have to replace the whole thing. The Onkyo receiver/speaker packages are much better but the speakers are still where they cut costs. The Energy TakeClassic/Lava sub combo would be much better than anything from onkyo until you step up to the HT-S9400 http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKHTS9400/Onkyo-HT-S9400-THX-7.1-Ch-Network-Home-Theater-Receiver/Speaker/1.html But if money truely is tight then consider an Onkyo factory refurbished system from ac4l.com http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/category/HTIB/Home-Audio/Packaged-Systems/1.html They come with a one year factory warranty. The Pioneer comes with the entry level version of MCACC automatic setup and room correction program. It doesn't help you place the speakers but sets their volumes, distances sizes and evaluates the room acoustics and adjusts the 5 band equilizer for the best sound.

raehza

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ray
Here is a Sub I used to have. It's great. It had a good punch and is pretty much the best Sub you can buy for

Trogdor796

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Calvin Kubat
Okay. That factory refurbished doesn't bother me, and that particular set looks good for the price, but my room setup doesn't allow for a 7.1 unfortunately. As for the subwoofer, what would be a better choice, the 10" lava for $250 or the BOC 12" for $188? If the BIC sounds almost as good and is 2" bigger for less only, I will go with that, but just was wondering what others opinions on it were. As long as the set of speakers fills my room with a good amount of sound and is good for the money, then I will be happy. And yeah, I kinda misworded the placement thing. So if I place the speakers in my room the best I can based on guides and pictures of ideal speaker placement, the setup thing will run and change settings, volume, etc, to make the speakers sound the best for their location and room size? Should I buy the receiver today no matter what sneakers I get because it's the last day with the $140 off, since you said that was a really good price on it?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I doubt you will find the 821 for that price again. But who know's what the future might bring. Prices are coming down since the new 2012 models will be released eventually. Both my systems are 5.1 but the receivers are 7.1 . You just don't use the Surround back channels or assign them for use in another room. The Lava 10" or a BIC F-12/V1220? That's a tough call. Lava is one of the most recommended subs out there along with SVS, HSU and Elemental Designs. BIC and Dayton from PartsExpress for those on the cheap. If it were me (or is it "I"?) I would go with the V1220. The Lava is probably a better sub but I would want the larger driver. I would definently take the 12" Lava over the BIC and wouldn't even consider the 10" BIC. The BIC F-12 is usually preferred over the V1220 but I'm not sure why. My brother has the V1220 so I have some experience with it and that's why I usually recommend that one. BTW, I have two Dayton 10" subs (the original "mighty mites") in one room and a Dayton 10" HSU knock-off in another. And yes, MCACC will set the equilizer to offer the best sound in your particular room as well as the individual speaker volumes, distances and the single crossover setting. But like most all of these automatic setup pregrams, it usually sets the speakers to Large and the crossover a bit too low but you can go into the setup menu afterwards and change them to Small and reset the crossover.

scotta68

Auditioning
Real Name
scott adam
Just found this forum as I have my own questions, but that will be addressed in a new thread. If you have no problem with refurbished, check ebay for the Polks. I purchased my Monitor 40s 2 years ago from there, they are directly from Polk and have 2 yr warranty. I love them and just ordered the CS1 front yesterday for $63 and plan on the Monitor 50s in a few weeks to use as my fronts. For what I use them for, they sound great.

Trogdor796

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Calvin Kubat
Thanks everyone for their replies. I ordered the Pioneer 821 receiver, and am about to order the following: Energy Take 5: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882269004 BIC V-1220: http://www.amazon.com/BIC-V-1220-430-Watt-Down-Firing-Subwoofer/dp/B0000Y2WYS/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top Anything else I need to know? Do I need anything else for this stuff besides HDMI cable(s) and speaker wire? One thing I just remembered is I read by wall mounting the Energy speakers, you lose a little of the bass produced by them due to rear firing drivers or something like that. Will I be fine since I'm getting the sub though? Another question I have is on the placement of the sub. I've read that it's bad to put sub's in corners, but reviews for this one say that since it's down-firing you want it in a corner...? And a workmate said that subs typically sound better in a corner. Just wondering what you guys thought.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Always use a surge protector on everything, especially the receiver and subwoofer. And make sure everything is turned off and un-plugged (or the surge protector is turned off) before making any connections. Be carefull with the speaker wire connections. Not even a single strand can touch the receiver or it will put the receiver into self-protect mode and shut it off. Those little Energy's don't put out too much bass anyway so don't woory about it. But try and avoid putting them flat against the wall. If you do then stick a piece of cloth or foam in the bass port. Subwoofer placement is really dependant on each particular room. Put in dirrerent places to see which spot sounds the best. We get our cables and wires from Partsexpress.com monoprice.com bluejeancables.com or the local home improvement store (for the speaker wire in bulk). No need to get the expensive name brand stuff.

Trogdor796

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Calvin Kubat
So all my speakers are here! They arrived last night. Unfortunately, my parents have decided to paint the room where my tv is, so I won't be able to hook them up for a few days. :( I have a question about hooking everything up though. Which of the following is better: (run an HDMI from PS3/PC to receiver, then another HDMI from receiver to TV) - OR - (HDMI from PS3 to TV, then Optical cable from PS3 to receiver)? I've heard and read that HDMI carries a better audio signal, because no quality is lost, while optical looses some quality. But I've also read that they are both digital signals so there is pretty much no difference. You see, if HDMI is better I need to purchase another HDMI cable and an optical cable(my pc doesn't have HDMI). If optical is fine I can use my existing HDMI cable and and just run an optical along with it.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Run everything to the receiver first. You want the receiver to be the hub of the system. Neither connecton loses signal, but HD-audio is prevented from going through the optical for copyright reasons.
Unfortunately, my parents have decided to paint the room where my tv is, so I won't be able to hook them up for a few days.
I think you're giving up too easily. I say if you set it up "experimentally" in the living room your room will get painted faster.

Trogdor796

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Calvin Kubat
So use HDMI to reveiver then HDMI from there to TV? Im going to hook it up to my computer, but since I have no optical cable, and my PC vid-card doesn't have HDMI, i need to go buy an optica cable. And HDMI carries better sound technically then?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Yes, HDMI to the receiver, then another HDMI from the receiver to the tv. HDMI doesn't technically carry better sound, it's just that the lossless Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master Audio formats found on BluRay discs isn't available through the optical (or coaxial) digital connection.

Trogdor796

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Calvin Kubat
So the room is finally painted, but my parents won't have to tv or furniture put back in for at least a few more days I'm sure. So I'm just going to hook the speakers up to my computer for now I think. I've heard that sometimes you need to break speakers in. Is this true? If so, how do I go about doing this? Also, do I need to purchase connecters for the end of my speaker wire? Like banana plugs? Or can I just put the wire into each speaker? For hooking it up to my computer, I have a sound card with an optical audio out/spdif port. No hdmi. So I would just run the optical cable from sound card to the receiver?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Speaker break-in is one of those things that some believe has some merit while others feel it's an old wives tale. I think there's probably a little something to it but I doubt you could acyually tell when they were fully broken in. And the recomended procedures very from just leaving the receiver on (even at low volume) for a few of days to turning it on and off every ten minutes for as long as your attention span will allow. I've even read some speaker reviews that said "the speakers really openned up after 200 hours of use". Bottom line is, don't even give it a thought. Even if there is something to this speaker break-in stuff it will occure in due time anyway. Banana plugs are nice to use on the receiver end because it makes it so much easier to connect the wires and virtually impossible to leave a bare srtand loose which can touch the receiver and cause it to go into protect mode and shut off. On the speaker end bare wire is just as good as anything else. I use spade lugs just because they make a neater connection and I buy and sell things quite often and it just makes removing and replacing them easier. But banana plugs or spades don't improve the sound quality at all. And avoid the little "pins" that are also available. They break off easily and don't offer much contact area. Optical from the sound card to the receive will be fine until you get everything up and running.

Trogdor796

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Calvin Kubat
Thanks for the Reply! That's kind of what I figured about speaker break in. I guess I will just use them. I don't have any plugs of any type, but they're not required it seems. They just make things more convenient then? And I'm kinda scared of leaving a strand of wire and hitting the receiver with it. Like would that completely wreck it or does the self protect thing always prevent damage? I pretty much just don't wanna make a little mistake and destroy the receiver.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
It wouldn't completely wreck the receiver, it would just shut off. And sometimes not at start-up but in the meddle of a movie! (at the worst time, of course). Using banana plugs on the receivers is a good idea imo. Receivers are usually placed up against the wall and you're on your back trying to get that wire into that little hole. Usually you can't even tell if the whole wire made it in or not. With a banana plug it goes straight in and there's no chance of any strand touching something it shouldn't. The in-expensive plastic ones work just fine. Of more concern is to make sure you use a surge protector for all of your electronics. And always turn of all equipment and the surge protector when making or changing any connections, especially when plugging them in. This is particularly important with displays and subwoofers. I've ruined one of each by not following my own advice :blush: .

Trogdor796

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Calvin Kubat
Okay, sounds good. I just picked up a spare surge protector tonight, so will for sure hook it up to that. As for plugs, sounds like it might be a good idea. I don't have any right now so i will probably just use it until i get some. So like i should even turn everything off when swapping like an HDMI? I don't want to ruin anything, that's for sure.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I would at least turn the display off. I ruined a rear projection tv by hooking up a dvd player with component cables and accidently touched something (I think it was my metal equipment stand) with one of the cables. Not sure if hdmi cables would share the same concern but why take chances. With a powered subwoofer, the On/Off switch was in the On position when I plugged it in. There was a spark between the plug and the outlet and now I have a passive subwoofer :( .

Trogdor796

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Calvin Kubat
I started hooking everything up tonight. God, what a mess the room is how I left it. I though I would be able to hook it all up in like an hour, adjust settings for half an hour, then use. I never even got to the setup, the speakers aren't even plugged in yet :( I guess I just got overwhelmed. There are so many options and places to plug things in. And then I started reading the manual for the sub and receiver. I read all these warnings and am scared to even continue now. I'll try to ask you guys what I remembered I was having some problems with. So the sub has all these switches and dials on the back of it. One is where you can have it set at "Dolby Pro Logic" or "Digital 5.1/6.1/7.1". Something along those lines. I assume digital, but the receiver has the Dolby Pro Logic Logo on it, so I don't know...? Also, my sub has speaker wire ports on the back, but also the option to use an RCA cable and my receiver has an RCA Sub Out on it. I would use this then, correct? Another thing is the on screen display. I've heard that the receiver can't send this out digitally? So I would have to use like the Yellow RCA Video out port on the receiver correct? So I will hook an optical cable to the receiver going to my sound card and a Yellow RCA cable to the receiver going to an old tube TV, then once the setup is done, I can disconnect the tube tv. Is this correct? I just feel like I need to read through both the manuals and research everything before hooking more up. But perhaps I'm just being paranoid. Another part of me just wants to hook all the wires up, turn it on, then follow the setup and go from there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks