First Sub Project -Any advice please?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by paullee, Dec 21, 2002.

1. paullee

paullee Auditioning

Dec 11, 2002
    Hi, I live in the UK and am just about to embark on building my first sub. I plan to do it in stages, keeping it simple initially and then adding stuff as I go along. My initial thoughts are:

Possibly an Audax 10 or 12" Driver (PR240Z0 or HT300DM)as we're a bit limited for decent drivers under £100 over here and anything coming from the US costs a fortune in postage!
    A sealed enclosure of 60L made of 30mm MDF with 4mm Aluminium backplate.
    Initially using it for HT from the Subwoofer output of a Marantz SR4200 Receiver so just gonna start with a Linkwitz-Riley Transform circuit tuned to 20HZ into a salvaged 100W BK Electronics Amp, will then add crossover later.

Couple of questions:
    1. If I'm downward firing it will I need totally adjustable phase control or will the 0 or 180 switch on the transform circuit suffice?
    2. If not, any suggestions of how to incorporate one?
    3. Best software tool to use?

Last but not least, if I then want to use it for Music what things should I be thinking about and what would be the best way to connect it up?

Thanks in advance.

Total Newbie.
  2. KurtJ

KurtJ Stunt Coordinator

Oct 14, 2002
    For any sub design I'd recommend a variable phase control because it will allow better blending of the sub with the rest of the system.

Surf the web for software. Adire has LspCad.