What's new

First sub design project (1 Viewer)

JoshuaT

Stunt Coordinator
After reading several members awesome writeups of the subs they have built, I have decided to tackle my first sub enclosure in home. I used to be a car audio installer and have worked with people who are VERY successful on the USACi / IASCA circuit. I've been building car enclosures for nearly 3 years.

My question is I want a 15" sub or dual 12" sub enclosures and matching amp/pro. What are people using in home that has been successful? I currently have an M&K MX-200. I want something that will play a little lower and be more "impactful" I want to feel the bass in my chest like crazy!

Any suggestions?

~josh

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
Something to consider can be stereo subwoofers with dual Stryke AV-12s, or save a little and get dual Shivas.

If you want to spend more money, then perhaps get an Adire Audio Tumult 15", plus two dayton 15" passive radiators and some kilowatt amp.

A single tempest in a vented enclosure is capable of filling most average sized rooms with bass, even with a simple 250W plate amp. This would probably be the cheapest option since it's only $150 for tempest, and $128 for plate amp at parts express. (flared Ports will add another $20)

You could also go with an 18" if you need to fill a big room with bass, such as the Maelstrom.

If the room isn't too large, I'd probably go stereo 12" subwoofers. There's the Dayton DVC, Stryke AV, and Shiva that are pretty common.

A single Tempest will probably work, but if you went with something like a Tumult I suspect the bass would be noticeably cleaner at loud volumes.

JoshuaT

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the advice!

I actually have a dual 12 enclosure in my MX-200. I was thinking about 2 15" sub enclosures. The Tumult has caught my eye... I was wondering how I would go about building and powering 2 15" sub enclosures. Budget is a concern, but not very very important.

I was looking for options as far as ported/sealed... sub and amp power...

Hi Jushua,

Feel free to give us a call or email if you have any questions about Tumult enclosure recommendations or sub building in general. We can also help with the amplifier side of things as well.

Thanks,

Chris Brunhaver
Adire Audio
(425) 778-9663
[email protected]

Darren_T

Second Unit
Joshua,

Just be sure your expectations aren't too high... you ain't gonna get SPL like you do in a car with cabin gain. You might feel it in your chest with a good setup but you ain't gonna get pelted :) It will be impressive in a different way though. Deep with your house vibrating off it's foundation... You just won't get the blurry vision without a substantial investment in multiple drivers etc. unless you lay on the driver :)

Darren

Thomas Summer

Auditioning
It seems to me that if you had more than 1 sub you could use the multiple subs to in effect zero out or cancel some of the room modes. By measuring and calculating where your room modes are and then by placing the multiple subs directly in the location that the room mode is high or in the most positive place.

Even with that said you would not want to have more than 4 subs.

Just some thoughts

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks