First stereo system! Help!(bose?jbl?receiver?cheap?)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RossM, Apr 20, 2002.

1. RossM

RossM Auditioning

I am looking to buid a cheap stereo system used for playing symphony type music/jazz and for hooking up to my tv for better sound. My question is : are the bose 201 or any other speakers of theres the best bang for the buck? I've also looked at JBL s38's which i really liked. I'm looking to spend a total of $600 for speakers+receiver and player. What types of speakers, receivers and players would you all recommend?

Stuff ive listened to already:

JBL s38's

Bose 201 shelfs

yamaha receiver + sony player

What are your thoughts and opinions? Thanks

2. matthew_rm

matthew_rm Second Unit

Well, first off you should know bose does not make good speakers. If you do not have much money to spend, JBL should be a pretty good choice. Also look at Paradigm, they make great speakers for the money.

For 2ch, HarmenKardon makes a nice reciever. Sony has nice CDplaysers as well. Try everyhting BEFORE you buy, and don't allways go by what the sales people tell you, or the add over-top of the bose 201's.

Hope This helped a bit!

3. RossM

RossM Auditioning

Stereo for under $600
    Speakers:
    Yeah. I'm pretty much set on the JBL s38's. I listened to them in best buy and they r0X0red.[​IMG] The set was on clearance for $349.99, but im going to see if i can find them on ebay for cheaper...(ive seen em for $300)
    Receiver:
    About how much power do i need for the JBL's? This system is going in my fairly large bedroom, so i wont be blasting them. Are Yamaha receivers any good?Recommend me something please.
    Cd Player:
    Yeah, Sony is good, but I'd like to match it with the receiver so i can use the same remote, but i guess everyone has universal remotes...What is good?
    ok...keep in mind i only have $300 to buy a receiver and player now. [​IMG] keep opinions coming. thanks

4. shankar

shankar Stunt Coordinator

Will this work for you?? If this type works, there are many similar set ups (sony, Pioneer, ...).

5. RossM

RossM Auditioning

Ah yes Shankar. That is the other way i was thinking of going. Just buying a package deal. But, I've had no luck finding speakers in those packages that have ever pleased me [​IMG] Have no fear, I'm still looking though.

6. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

The S38s can get loud with 80-100 watts. I've used cheap vintage pioneer receivers and decent 100wpc rotel power amps. The S38s will blast fine for a bedroom on only 80-100 watts. (maybe even 50wpc, never had one)
    I don't think you should insult the S38s by comparing them to bose 201s. [​IMG]
    Stereo integrated receivers will run you around $200-300 for 100wpc if you go with a respected Denon or Onkyo brand. (DRA-395, TX-8511) Maybe a $150 Sony STR-DE135 or buy a used stereo receiver off ebay and save a bundle.
    The CD player separate can be pretty cheap ranging $50-100.
    With those you will probably some good sound from the S38s. You could hook the TV to the receiver as well for some real nice stereo. I don't think a HTIB package will provide the same stereo sound he'll get from separates.

7. RossM

RossM Auditioning

Thanks for your Reply Chris. Well, the only reason i compared the bose to the jbl is that my father says that bose is the leader in technology, they have amazing sound, blkah blkah blah, and that i should buy them and save money. I on the other hand wanted the s38's. But i gave both of them a shot. Conclusion-> JBL = winnar. [​IMG]
    Yeah, I'll think ill just pick up a sony player.
    Will a yamaha receiver be a good choice? at best buy i all the system setups used sony players and yamaha receivers.
    Thanks for all your replies.

8. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

9. keir

keir Stunt Coordinator

10. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    Bose is the leader in making people think they are the leader in speaker technology. [​IMG]

11. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Thomas, very well said. Excellent. [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. Ron_L

Ron_L Second Unit

I own a Yamaha Rx-V800 and LOVE it. Their Cinema DSP technology is da bomb!