What's new

First step towards marriage... (1 Viewer)

Alan Erceg

Stunt Coordinator
completed.

I just went and bought(well paid half so far on it) an engagement ring for my g/f.

I had taken my g/f with me before to look to get a idea of what she wanted. Well today we went again cause she wanted to get her finger sized and to look some more. At this point I was planning to buy soon, and she knew I was, but I didnt know I was buying today. We looked at rings, and I knew she wanted an oval cut Diamond, and the jewler took a few out and showed us the different grades underneath a magnifying glass and all that stuff.

He pulled one out and she instantly fell in love with it. It was an oval cut .94 kt size "D" Color(Highest Possible) and Vs2 clarity(above average). The price on it stone only was 3299$. That was a bit above my range that I had in mind at first honestly ,not because Im cheap, but because that would take pretty much my whole bank account down to about 300$. As we were looking at some other the guy made a deal with us and said he would sell it to us for 2900$ and that included the appraisal and setting and everything. She was in love with it so I said go for it. So I put down roughly half on it so he would hold it until I got paid again to pay off the other half.

Sorry for the long rambling but I had to tell someone...

This is roughly what it looks like

http://img116.exs.cx/img116/1913/ring1.jpg

Alan Erceg

Stunt Coordinator
thats actually where I got the picture from I posted..lol. I didnt compare to blue nile and it looks like I got a pretty good deal compared to the prices they were listing for that size/color/clarity...

Matt_R

Stunt Coordinator
Congrats! I was just there myself a couple of weeks ago... Let me tell you this though, once you pop the question, the wedding fever is unleased in your fiance(!!) :)

I'm hoping she doesn't turn into "Bridezilla" :)

Good luck and best wishes,

Matt

Adam.Heckman

Second Unit
Congrats. Did that last tuesday. She has no idea it's coming, although I do know what the answer will be. I know a jeweler here in Boston who's making her ring for me and I got to help in the design. .55 center w/ .25 sides. White gold... and I got out for 2 grand! That's the benefit of knowing somebody!

Again, congrats and welcome to the club.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
Awesome! Congratulations, Alan. Trust me when I say that both your fiancee' will definitely be planning out all the details for your wedding. Your big thing will be getting fitted for your tuxedo, planning for the honeymoon, getting your best man and groomsmen together for one last throwdown, and showing up on time for the wedding. :)

LanieParker

Supporting Actor
Congrats! That's really very exciting and I wish you and your soon to be wife a great life.

I'm a plain and simple girl, so I told my husband not to buy me an engagement ring and that when we bought our wedding bands I didn't need a diamond or anything fancy. We went to this nice little jewelery store and picked out white gold bands and had our initials engraved on the inside.

Total price: $127 for both rings.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
I'm in the same boat myself. My girlfriend has been living with me for a while so I've decided that it's finally time to get married. I'm looking to spend around $2000 to $2500 for her ring. Man it feels funny to finally grow up! :)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
:laugh:

congrats and welcome to the club! (heck, i just got hitched a few months ago myself...)

i "sorta" lucked out in the ring area. my wife used her mom's center stone, so i only had to buy the wedding band (?) - heck, it still cost me a decent chunk. but the center stone is pretty big, etc -- so everyone thinks i'm a big spender. ;)

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
you and your quick-posting abilities! i was reading her post, and i was thinking "i have a perfect reply to this. i'll ask her if she has a sister, perfect!" but my plan was quickly shot down :thumbsdown:

CJ

Alan Erceg

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for all the well wishes guys/gals...

I feel I am mature enough to take this step. I feel Im pretty mature for my age...I am 21, she is 23.

We dont actually plan to get married for another year and a half or so. Everything from this point on is money going towards a downpayment on a house. We want to have at least 10 grand or so for that.

I am actually excited about all of it though..I feel like Im ready to step out and just enjoy life and settle down etc etc..

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee

Yeah, but she's probably the complete opposite. :)

Oh yes, congratulations and keep us posted on how you pop the question.

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
$127 for both bands? That sounds like my kind of option. I'm half-broke, Jenn's half-broke, and besides...she'd much prefer a new Xbox game for an engagement present :D

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member

Sounds like my kind of girl! :)

Congrats, Alan. Hopefully, sometime in the next decade. I'll be doing that.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
I lucked out when it came to an engagement ring too. I had her mom's engagement ring to use, so, with her approval, I had the diamond reset in a new ring, with some sapphires that I chose on either side of it. The engagement ring cost me $300. Our wedding bands together totaled $150 or so. Just plain white gold.

Congrats on your engagement. Being married is fun. It's somehow different from cohabitation, I'm not sure how, but it feels better.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Speaking of acquring diamonds and rings from family, the diamond on my friend's ring came from a ring that belonged to her (now former) husband's deceased grandfather. To get the diamond the husband's family basically tricked the grandmother by removing the diamond and replacing it with some kind of imitation. When my friend's husband left her, divulging the switcheroo to grandma was one of the many ideas for retribution. I don't know if she ever did or what she did with the ring, but that would have been sweet!

And I don't mean to bring up the "D" word to put a damper on your next step in your relationship. I just thought it was a funny story about rings and diamonds.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks