First Sighting of new Sony Direct View 16x9 (KD-34XBR2)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert D Davis, Aug 19, 2001.

1. Robert D Davis

I went to the Soundtrack in Denver next to the Park Meadows Mall on Friday and saw the KD-34XBR2. The set was gorgeous (excellent picture, wonderful on-screen menus), however this was only a floor model and Soundtrack stores in the Springs/Denver area will not get actual ones to sell until later this week. The going price, btw, is $3889.95. I found out from a good source that the store cost is $2800.00, so be sure to haggle with whoever you buy one from if you're interested. Ok, as far as the set, I did NOT see the DVI connector on the back as advertised in Sony's price release dated 1 Mar. I had hoped to see a manual of the tv so that I could see if HDCP was actually included in this final version of the set, but the employees at the store were unable to locate one. So anyway, it'll be interesting to find out what happened to the DVI link once this product becomes mainstream. Sony still has not updated the link to this item on their site, FYI (it appears as a broken link when you click on HDTV XBR). Anyway, it was quite a treat to see this thing in person, and I can't wait to buy one!

2. Shawn O

Shawn O Stunt Coordinator

Sony,being part of 5C,is supporting IEEE1394(iLink) with 5C copy protection.DVI/HDCP is a competing scheme.