What's new
World Wide Stereo

First setup - trouble with cables (1 Viewer)

Mrbbq

Auditioning
Real Name
Bill Smith
Hi,

This is my first HD setup and im having trouble figuring what cables will be needed for my installation. I’m looking at the following:

Satellite receiver: Motorola dsr505 https://secure.starchoice.com/englis..._specsheet.pdf

TV: Panasonic TH-42PZ800
Panasonic Canada - PZ800 Series - Specifications

Home theatre: Panasonic SCBT100
Panasonic Canada - Blu-ray home theatre system – Specifications

If I understand correctly, to connect my setup properly I will need the following:
1- Audio and video cable(s) between TV and RECEIVER
2- Audio and video cable(s) between TV and HOME THEATRE

For the connection between the TV and the HOME THEATRE, I will use an HDMI cable since both devices can use it.

For the connection between the TV and the receiver I have to use something else than an HDMI cable since my RECEIVER doesn’t support it. After some research, it appears that my best option for the video connection will be a HDMI to DVI cable. Now, if I understand correctly, I will also need to plug in a separate audio cable. I believe I should use a digital coaxial cable or a Optical (Toslink) cable. On the RECEIVER specs there is something called "Optical audio" and on the TV specs there is 1 "(5.1ch) Digital audio output" and 2 "Analog audio input for HDMI". What should I use for the best sound and where should I plug it?

Thanks for the help,

Regards,

Bill

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
HTiB to TV = HDMI connection.
Satellite to TV = DVI/HDMI connection
Satellite to HTiB = optical

This will require that the all 3 components be turned on every time you want to watch TV since the sound from the satellite receiver will be fed into your home theater in a box (HTiB). Also, looking at the specs for your HTiB, it says HDMI but doesn't specify if it has an input nor does it give a picture of the back like the Motorola specs. Having that could verify what I said or change things completely.

-Robert

Mrbbq

Auditioning
Real Name
Bill Smith
Thanks for the quick reply. I know that the HTiB has an HDMI input since it can use the "Viera link" technology via an HDMI cable to the TV. I could also install an analog audio cable between the tv and receiver if i don't want to use the HTiB right?

Thanks,

Bill

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Correct. But whan watching satellite and using the HTiB, then you should turn down the volume of the TV otherwise it will with the sound.

-Robert

Mrbbq

Auditioning
Real Name
Bill Smith

Does that mean that im going to change my cable setup which was:

HTiB to TV = HDMI connection.
Satellite to TV = DVI/HDMI connection
Satellite to HTiB = optical

Thanks for your replies, you are really helping me.

Bill

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
No. I was just correcting your statement "I know that the HTiB has an HDMI input". The HTiB has a single HDMI output. If it had an HDMI input then it would allow other wiring options.

-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandallFlagg
Recent bookmarks
SVS Outlet Sale