What's new

First Setup. Need Some Tips/Suggestions (1 Viewer)

Mickey

Auditioning
Hey, i am fairly new to this whole idea, although i have been reading the posts for a few months now before i posted any questions. anyways here is what i am asking, i have a set up in mind, but i want to know if what i picked is good or not. so if you guys/girls dont mind throwing me your input my way, good or bad its all welcomed.

Sony KV32FS100 32" FD Trinitron® WEGA TV
Panasonic SAXR25S Home Theatre Receiver
OR
JVC RX-7030VBK Home Theatre Receiver
Bell Express Vu Personal Video REcorder 5800
Monster Cable Home Theatre Kit

i have bought a set of Sony SAVE535HS Surround Sound Speakers

please a beginner

Deepak Shenoy

Supporting Actor
Mickey,

You can't go wrong with a Wega, but as for the rest of the equipment we would need to know what your total budget is before making any recommendations.

How many speakers does the Sony set include ?

-D

Deepak Shenoy

Supporting Actor
You can probably do better than that for $3000 (if the budget doesn't include the speakers - also you haven't listed a DVD player and I am assuming you already have one).

The MSRPs of the TV ($700), receiver ($300) and PVR ($500) add up to only half of your budget. One upgrade to consider would be a bigger TV if you have the room (bigger is always better). The equivalent 36" Wega is about $300 more. Even the basic Wegas seem to have 16:9 mode which is a must for watching widescreen DVDs. You may also want to consider a progressive scan TV that is HD-capable, but that will work out to a $1300 MSRP for a 32" TV. Of the two receivers the JVC is probably the better one just based on my previous experience with the two brands (I have owned Panasonic and JVC receivers before). It seems to have all the features you would need for a beginner home theater.

I am not sure how your satellite surround speakers will sound for music, but they should be fine for TV and movies.

-D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks