First screens of Splinter Cell on the Playstation 2...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Romier S, Dec 7, 2002.

1. Romier S

Romier S Producer

(Thread title should read "ON" the PS2 but I boo boo'ed[​IMG])
    For anyone wondering about confirmation of whether Splinter Cell would be released multi-platform, here are some new screenshots of the PS2 version of the game:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    News also has it that that the Gamecube version is coming along extremely well and is a very faithful port of the Xbox and PC version of the game. Enjoy guys!

2. Dave Bennett

Dave Bennett Screenwriter

Very nice indeed.I'm looking forward to picking up the Cube version upon release.

3. Jeffrey D Smith

Jeffrey D Smith Stunt Coordinator

I finally got to play the xbox version today. Very solid game. Will def. pick it up for the cube as well. (If they do a proper job of it. [​IMG] )

4. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Will they be adding stuff into the game, ala Wreckless?

Either way, it doesn't look THAT bad, and it does expand the market a bit without the crappy-ports-of-lowers-common-denominator-version stigma.

5. Dave Bennett

Yeah I agree with Morgan, if the PS2 version looks that good, I'm sure the cube version can be almost or on par with the xbox version.

6. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

BTW, where'd you get those pics Romier?

7. Romier S

Romier S Producer

8. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

Fixed thread title boo boo for you. [​IMG]
    Dan

9. Ian C

Ian C Stunt Coordinator

Finally they get it right. Develop for the 'box and "downgrade" to the other consoles :p) Too bad this can't happen more often.

Ian

10. KevinRB

KevinRB Stunt Coordinator

"I finally got to play the xbox version today. Very solid game. Will def. pick it up for the cube as well. (If they do a proper job of it.)"

Why would you buy it for GameCube if you already have it for Xbox?

11. Romier S

Romier S Producer

12. Dave Bennett

Kevin,
    just because he played the XBox version doesn't mean he owns an XBox. He may have played it at a in store kiosk or at a friend's.

13. Jeffrey D Smith

Kevin,
    I live in a house at college, and one of the guys here has an xbox. So I played it on that. I try to play all the high profile titles and give them a fair assesment. However, I generally choose not to game on the xbox for personal reasons regarding MS's past practices. Thus I look to the cube game as my fix. [​IMG]

14. Chris Flynn

Chris Flynn Second Unit

Umm, these were posted on the TXB forums, and they were generally regarded as being fake.

15. Benson R

Benson R Supporting Actor

I don't understand everyone's criticm of MS. I don't condone what they did but the major players in the videogame industry are guilty of the same practices as MS. Hell nintendo lost a court case over their practices used to maintain their monopoly during the NES days.

Sony toned it down from the old nintendo days but a big part of their strategy is using their incredible might to secure exlusives, as well they should.

So if anyone is really that concerned with fairness and commpetition you really should be routing for MS in the industry. Sony needs a healthy competitor besides nintendo so that there is a drive to innovate.

16. Jeffrey D Smith

Benson, you have some good points. And I'm well aware of Nintendo's own mispractice as well. From my own examination of things, I feel that MS is good healthy competition for the gaming industry right now. It's MS's long term goals I'm concerned about. The xbox was released for a larger reason then just gaming. In addition, their constant monopolizing of the PC industry disturbs me to no end. Choosing what system to game on is almost a choice between the lessor of the evils. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to attack the xbox unit or the games it self. It's the company behind it that keeps me from supporting it. (buying it, software, etc.)

I'm not going to continue to discuss this all here because of it being OT. However I'd be happy to discuss it in another topic.

17. Jon W H

Jon W H Stunt Coordinator

I'm curious why the current Splinter Cell television ads still display the "Only on XBox" logo at the beginning. Is UBI Soft downplaying the concurrent release on other consoles for the sake of Holiday sales...
    ...or, is there more than meets the eye? [​IMG]

18. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Either the game is in development for the PS2/GCN in case it only does so-so on the X-Box, the pics are fakes, or they're saying that it, as of right now, is only on the X-Box.

19. Jeffrey D Smith

MS bought an exclusive time period contract for the game, as they did for "Dead to rights". Some speculate companies are only willing to do time exclusive offers with MS because of poor software sales, others think it's just MS's new strategy, rather then buying to have complete exclusive rights.

20. Benson R

Benson R Supporting Actor

I think the time exclusive deals are probably more beneficial to Sony and MS then they are to the developers. Look at Metal Gear. I think most people that wanted the game picked it for ps2 last year. I don't think it will be a flop but it won't be a blockbuster title on xbox. Same thing goes for Splinter Cell. I think most of the sales will be for the xbox version since it is being released during the holiday season, which is the main buying season only for xbox.