First Run Features Press Release: Born in Flames/An Empty Bed

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Ronald Epstein, May 8, 2006.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator

Jul 3, 1997
    Ronald Epstein
    The provocative, thrilling and still-relevant classic by Lizzie Borden that rocked the foundations of the early indie film world.

Set in America ten years after the Second American Revolution, Born In Flames is a comic fantasy of female rebellion. It will be released on DVD for the first time on June 13, 2006.

When Adelaide Norris, the founder of the Woman's Army, is mysteriously killed, a seemingly impossible coalition of women - crossing all lines of race, class, and sexual preference - emerges to blow the System apart. In a series of thrilling and often humorous encounters between groups of women ranging from militant black lesbians to white punk feminist musicians, Born in Flames covers a wide range of radical feminist ideas, as this band of armed, whistle-blowing bicyclists thwarts everyone from would-be rapists to male construction workers who protest the hiring of female colleagues.

Features early cameos by Kathryn Bigelow and Eric Bogosian, along with Honey, Adele Bertei, Jeanne Satterfield, Flo Kennedy, and Ron Vawter. Also featuring music by The Bloods, Ibis and Red Crayola. The DVD also includes an early text interview with Lizzie Borden from AIVF's The Independent.

"Thrilling, explosive… still potent after all these years." -Paper Magazine

"A Comic Fantasy of Female Rebellion…Funny, Gutsy, Inspiring!" -Ms. Magazine

"Part Sci-Fi Fantasy, Part Feminist Adventure Story!" -Philadelphia Enquirer

"By turns humorous, satirical and deadly earnest … a still-potent artifact of political commitment." -LA Weekly

"(A) Radical feminist wonder!" -Variety

"Sophisticated, funny, feminist sci-fi drama." -Los Angeles Herald Examiner

"A Feminist Manifesto. Free-Wheeling, Futuristic Entertainment!"
    -In These Times

90 minutes, color, 1983
    UPC: 7-20229-91218-1
    Catalog #: FRF 912181D
    SRP: $24.95/CAN.: $32.99
    Pre-book: May 16, 2006
    Street Date: June 13, 2006

__________________________________________________ _______________________

A Rare Look at Aging in the Gay World

John Wylie beautifully portrays Bill Frayne, a gay man in his sixties who reflects on his younger days, the choices he has made, and the prospect of an empty bed. Told largely through flashbacks, this early classic of gay cinema is a time tapestry where past and present weave together to form a poignant picture of one man's life.

BONUS MATERIALS: Interview with Director o Cast & Crew Biographies o Photo Gallery

"Critic's Pick!" - Washington Post

"A lovely, moving experience for viewers of any age." - The Advocate

" One of the few films that deal with the lives of older gay men."
    - MyGayWeb

"A poignant and graceful picture of one man's life." -

"Intelligent and moving...will impress gay cinema fans with its honesty and integrity!" -

"A rarity among gay-themed films!" - GALA (Gay and Lesbian Archives)

"A celebration of the little things that give life meaning." - SF Weekly

56 minutes, color, 1989
    UPC: 7-20229-91219-8
    Catalog #: FRF 912198D
    Retail Price: $19.95 / Canadian Retail Price: $26.99
    Pre-book: May 16, 2006
    Street Date: June 13, 2006
  2. Ocean Phoenix

Ocean Phoenix Supporting Actor

Feb 10, 2004
    Born In Flames is by far the worst movie I have ever seen. It was painful to watch. I hate it with a passion. I have no idea how a movie like that gets praise. I was hoping I would never have to hear about it or even think about it again for the rest of my life, as watching it was the most unpleasant experience I have ever had watching a movie. There has never been a movie I watched from start to finish that I wanted to walk out of as badly as that one. I kept watching it out of respect for my film teacher (who loves it) when I saw it in film class, but I suffered in every minute of that screening. I recommend avoiding that movie as strongly as I possibly can recommend anything.