First RPTV and HT (Couple Questions)

Discussion in 'Displays' started by MichaelSholl, Jan 2, 2004.

1. MichaelSholl

MichaelSholl Auditioning

After a year, I am back in the market for my first RPTV. I believe I am going with the Toshiba 65H83 from One Call. They have is listed at $2499 with 10% off and free shipping.

I am also purchasing the Onkyo ONK HTS760 Home Theater from CC.

Few questions.

1. One Call - Any experiences? Good, bad?

2. Should I invest in an Extended Warranty for the RPTV? If so 3 or 5 years?

3. If I elect to get an extended warranty can I get one from another company that may be a better deal?

3. Any comments on either device would be great. I am trying to get the largest TV for the money as I will be sitting about 11 feet from the TV.

Thank you all knowing audiophiles [​IMG]

2. John S

John S Producer

1. I have bought from One Call and had good experiences.

2. That is your call, but more and more the extended warranties are less and less of a value.

3. You may indeed be able to get an extended warranty from another source.

3. MichaelSholl

MichaelSholl Auditioning

John,

Thanks for the reply. If I don't hear any real negative comments I should be ordering in the next two weeks. The most exciting purchases I have made in quite some time. I am pretty confident in the Onkyo piece. The Toshiba is a bit of an unknown to me.

Regards,

Michael Shollenberger

4. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    I ordered a reciever from one-call a year or two ago.. smooth transaction, would deal with again. PriceMatching is also a nice benefit as well [​IMG]

5. Jeremy Scott

Jeremy Scott Second Unit

why is an extended warrnaty not necessary?

I got a 3 year extended warranty for $99 and have had 2 new tubes put in my tv....

6. Bob_Campbell

Bob_Campbell Stunt Coordinator

michael,

I have a toshiba 46h83, I recommend getting the warranty. Not b/c of faulty problems with the toshiba but that if a gun in your tv goes it might cost more to replace that one gun that to buy your set.... just some food for thought

bob

7. Michael.M.C

Michael.M.C Stunt Coordinator

I dealt with a guy named Patrick at OneCall last week. Great price, solid packing and among the fastest shipping I have ever experienced, especially during the holidays.

8. MichaelSholl

MichaelSholl Auditioning

Thanks so much for the responses. Does anyone have experience with One Call's extended warranties? Should I go with their warranty or are there other companies that provide comprehensive EW at a good value?

Thanks again

9. John S

John S Producer

I say this because more and more, when people try to use these warranties, they are getting shafted. I am glad your warranty has worked out well for you.

I am try'n to decide right now, if I want to spend the extra $160 for three additional years from Philips myself.

10. Michael.M.C

Michael.M.C Stunt Coordinator

Allow me to offer this:

With an extended warranty you are gambling the item will break, they are gambling it won't.

If I were to get an extended warranty, and I rarely do, it would only be with the original manufacturer.

Lastly, as best as possible, I would first check the item out on cnet, epinions or other internet ratings sites. If it shows high repairs I would either not buy it or consider the warranty. Otherwise, I would not spend the extra money.

Good luck! [​IMG]