First Review Of Harry Potter and the Prisoner Of Azkaban

Lou Sytsma

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
I am hopeful that we will finally see a HP movie that has some 'magic' to it. Sounds very promising.

Chuck Mayer

Lead Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I have read a few other (non-official) reviews. They have all been raves.

As expected

Chuck

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul
Reaction score
I saw the first 2 Harry Potter films, and they never really grabbed my attention as memorable films, but knowing that Alfonso Cuaron is at the directing helm, I have high hopes, especially after enjoying "Y Tu Mama Tambien" so much last year. Plus the look of the film just puts the viewer in a slightly altered universe where the presence of magic doesn't seem out of place.

Edwin Pereyra

Producer
Reaction score

Thi Them

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Thi
Yeah, we could see Harry and Ron climaxing into a lake.

~T

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
Patrick: I was thinking the same thing. Wow...was Lindsay ever stunning in that skit. Now I will have that image in my head all day. (I guess that is not a bad thing!)

Chad R

Cinematographer
Reaction score
Real Name
Chad Rouch
But, that's how the book ends. So, the fans of the books won't be disappointed.

Adam Lenhardt

Director
Reaction score
Chad: That's what I mean. Thus the rolly-eyes; another critic that underestimates and under-researches his assertions.

Chad R

Cinematographer
Reaction score
Real Name
Chad Rouch
I saw them, and I know you well enough to sense your sarcasm. I just wanted to add something for those who didn't read the books.

Iain Jackson

Second Unit
Reaction score
I just got back from seeing this (it opened here in the UK at 9am this morning), and I can happily say that HP3 is by far the best of the series so far. It's amazing what a difference a good director has made.

The script is very faithful to the book, and even though a lot was taken out I didn't really mind (in fact, certain scenes were improved by their new-found brevity). There are a couple of slightly cringe-worthy lines, but nothing to get in a fuss about. The main stars are starting to develop into fairly good actors, and all the adults were as good as ever (although most of them barely made cameos this time round - another consequence of the film's shortness, I suppose).

Visually the film is far more interesting, and the visual effects are very impressive. There were still a few scenes that weren't that convincing, but the dementors and Buckbeak the hippogriff were good. In fact, I would say that Buckbeak is possibly the most convincing CGI creature I've seen since the Jurassic Park movies (which still set the benchmark, in my opinion). It's certainly a far cry from the shoddy rush-job they did on Philosopher's Stone's effects...

Overall, HP3 is great. Even if you weren't a huge fan of the first two films, I would recommend giving this one a go. I just hope that Mike Newell can follow in Alfonso Cuaron's footsteps with Goblet of Fire...

PhilipG

Cinematographer
Reaction score
Real Name
PhilipG
I'll second what Iain wrote.

Much, much better film. Terrific first half. Second half wasn't so good, but that may have been my seat's fault.

The difference a good director makes...

My one gripe:
That final freeze shot was terrible!

Forum Sponsors

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GlobalImages