First Reformed (2018)

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Title: First Reformed (2018)

Genre: Thriller, Drama

Director: Paul Schrader

Cast: Ethan Hawke, Amanda Seyfried, Cedric the Entertainer, Victoria Hill, Philip Ettinger, Michael Gaston, Bill Hoag, Kristin Villanueva, Ingrid Kullberg-Bendz, Ken Forman, Christopher Dylan White, Frank Rodriguez, Gary Lee Mahmoud, Joseph Anthony Jerez, Sue Jean Kim, Miah Issabella Velasquez, Tyler Bourke, Natalie Woolams-Torres, Van Hansis, Ramon Nuñez, Delano Montgomery, Satchel Eden Bell, Jon Rua, Otis Edward Cotton, Mark Havlis, Erica Fae, Prudence Wright Holmes, Ronald Peet, Juliet Schlefer, Elanna White, Olivia Rose Cohenher, Jake Alden-Falconer, Eric Lockley, Krystina Alabado, Dennis Michael Giammetta, Mahaleia Gray

Release: 2018-05-18

Runtime: 113

Plot: A pastor of a small church in upstate New York starts to spiral out of control after a soul-shaking encounter with an unstable environmental activist and his pregnant wife.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
A priest of a small congregation in upstate New York grapples with mounting despair brought on by tragedy, worldly concerns and a tormented past.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Yes pleas include the info about the move and don’t just post links and videos.

Well, I will continue to post the embedded videos because always better to show rather than tell but the idea is that you watch the video and then if it is something that you want to comment on you can. I will however generally follow up with some comments...typically not right away because I like to see if anybody even has an interest in these pictures.

Obviously from the images we can see Ethan Hawke stars and the great Paul Schrader writes and directs. Both videos tell you more but the Schrader interview is particularly interesting and well worth watching not just for talk about this film but he talks a lot about the later part of his career.

He calls this film part of a series or cycle of films that include Taxi Driver, American Gigolo, Light Sleeper, and The Walker. I think the excellent Bringing Out the Dead could be part of this cycle as well because to me it feels like a sort of sequel to Taxi Driver as we watch Nic Cage's paramedic attempt to cope with his own inner crisis dealing with the violence, drugs, and death on the streets of New York.

By the way, since I am here, both Bringing Out the Dead and Light Sleeper really need to be released on blu-ray.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The videos being included is great but words are easier to read.

Agreed.

Some of us read the forum in places where we are unable to view video. By posting a video with a short description summarizing what is being posted, that allows all members to participate in a discussion instead of leaving those without video access unable to know exactly what's being spoken about.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Agreed.

Some of us read the forum in places where we are unable to view video. By posting a video with a short description summarizing what is being posted, that allows all members to participate in a discussion instead of leaving those without video access unable to know exactly what's being spoken about.
Falling on deaf ears unfortunately Josh. More than one. :(

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
https://www.polygon.com/interviews/2018/6/11/17447590/first-reformed-paul-schrader-interview

Excerpt:

Watching the film, out now in theaters, is like witnessing an accomplished mathematician scribble down the solution to a chalkboard-sprawled equation. The scholar at work is Paul Schrader, who wrote the screenplays for four timeless Martin Scorsese films (Taxi Driver, Raging Bull, The Last Temptation of Christ, Bringing Out the Dead) and carved out a button-pushing directorial career with mesmerizing dramas like Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters, Light Sleeper, Affliction and Auto Focus. Somehow, after 40 years of exploring cinema as both a critic (he claimed Pauline Kael as a mentor before contributing to the Los Angeles Free Press) and a filmmaker, Schrader’s work as never been recognized by the Academy Awards. That could, and should, change with First Reformed, a drama that works through every theory, dissertation, and obsession that’s ever come under the filmmaker’s lens. It’s a life’s work packed into two hours — and he was convinced he’d never make it.

Anyone who watches movies can learn something from Schrader, who at 71 is still ferocious, jovial and eager to experiment. Though First Reformed’s narrative absorbs the attention, the logic piecing it together (the macro of religious study, the micro of filmmaking techniques) can be broken down into calculus. Schrader is happy to show his work. In conversation with Polygon, the veteran writer-director spoke about the historical backbone of First Reformed, what “religion on film” looks like in 2018, which pop star is a divine idol, and why the true joy of this turbulent world is Words with Friends.

Polygon: You’ve mentioned Robert Bresson’s Diary of a Country Priest and Ingmar Bergman’s Winter Light as inspirations. What is religion’s relationship with film now compared to those mid-20th century films?

GettyImages_911003506.jpg

Paul Schrader at the Venice Film Festival
Corbis via Getty Images
Paul Schrader: There is these things called “faith-based movies,” which are simply just Hollywood movies with Jesus shoehorned into the role that Tom Cruise plays, and these are just normal exercises of entertainment in the cloth of Christianity. But they’re not religious movies. They are not spiritual movies. They’re just propaganda. I could make a film which takes the proposition that Hitler is insane. I could also make a film that says Adolf Hitler is god. I would use the same techniques in both. I wouldn’t have to change a thing, just switch the dials. Well, that’s what it’s like when faith based movies try to use Hollywood techniques to convince you that Christianity is the only way. I, uh, don’t have much of a taste for that.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zoobird
Recent bookmarks