first reciever

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Luke_E, Nov 17, 2002.

1. Luke_E

Luke_E Auditioning

I looking to get into the ht market, but funds are tight. I am considering the Panasonic SA-HE200 and was wondering if this is a good entry level choice? If not, what would anyone recommend for a sub-$500 receiver. My only requirements are at least 3 rear panel (if receiver is "worth it" 2 rear and one front is acceptable) optical inputs--one for ps2, xbox, and dvd player--and also Dolby pro-logic II. Any suggestions and/or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Luke

2. Steve Adams

Steve Adams Second Unit

pioneer vsx-d811s is a great receiver. i have the 810, the model before it, the only thing mine dont have that the 11 does is the dpl2.

3. Paul Murphy

Paul Murphy Stunt Coordinator

is the $500 U.S. or canadian?

4. Nick Cerretti

Nick Cerretti Stunt Coordinator

It lists for $399.99 in the U.S, but it can be found for much cheaper depending on whether or not you want to buy from an authorized dealer.

5. Paul Murphy

Paul Murphy Stunt Coordinator

Guessing it is the U.S. cause the He 100 sells for 499 candian. I have heard the HE 100 many time and was at one point looking to buy it but realized that you are better off buying higher end reciever such as Denon,H&K,Yamaha,Onkyo,or Martanz. Personally I would choose a Denon or Yamaha. H&K you pay to much when you could get the same features on just as good a system from Denon and Yamaha. I am not very familiar with Onkyo and Martanz but they are well established companys. One thing that differs the Sony's, Panasonic,etc. are that they do not have high current power sources. Check the Ex or Es thread cause im not 100% sure if its better to go with 6.1 system or better 5.1? Peoples opinions will vary.

6. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Luke: the November 2002 issue of Sound & Vision has a great Receiver Buying Guide that lists a lot of models by price and has a table of features.
    For example:
    Yamaha RX-V6300 is $500. Has 1 coaxial/ 4 optical inputs, supports 2 HD/Progressive component video feeds, etc.
    Sony STR-DA1ES - very similar to the Yamah unit.
    Pioneer VSX-D811S - very similar but with 2 coaxial inputs and 3 optical.
    Kenwood VR-606 2 coaxial/2 optical
    So run out and buy this issue. It will show you lots of options.