What's new

First reciever (1 Viewer)

BrandonCB

Grip
I'm looking to setup a "home"-theater system (I say "home" because actually it's for a college room, but I can play it as loud as I want other than my roomate no one else is in the vicinity) for under $1,000 definitely, looking around $500-$600 range. For speakers I may go with athena Point 5 MKII, but I don't know about my reciever yet. Does anyone have any good suggestions? One I've been looking at is the Onkyo 501 refurbished for $195. Also Pioneer and Denon. One question I had is the Onkyo is 6.1, but since my system is going to be a 5.1 setup is that going to cause a problem?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
The Denon AVR-1804 just received a nice review in The Perfect Vision -- though I advise that you ignore the reviewer's comments on the unit's "sound." It's a versatile unit (I have the previous-year model, the 1803, running my bedroom system; fine unit).

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
The 6.1 will not cause a problem for a 5.1 setup. I have the same situation. If anything, it will give you a slight bit of extra headroom, with one less channel to drive.

BrandonCB

Grip
I might actually get a 6.1 speaker setup, I'm trying to research things but there's so many choices. I've heard good things about the budget Onkyo system for around $200 including a sub, and the athena Point 5's, and last year when I did some research people recommended JBL NSP1 IIs, but those may be a bit out of date by now.

ChrisYK

Stunt Coordinator
I have the Harman Kardon AVR 525 and I love it.

It fits into the lower end of your price range (even below if you can find a good deal), and it's a very nice mid-entry level receiver.

My wife, who doesn't have very discerning ears, especially loves the sound of any and all music played.

RaviK

Agent
Brandon,

Onecall.com currently has a special for athena Point 5 MKII ($500, including a sub). I am also looking for some reviews on them before buying them. :D

Tim Stumpf

Stunt Coordinator
The Onkyo 501 is a very good entry level receiver. I'm not sure I'd go the refurbished route only because I've seen that unit on Sale at cc for around $250 once in a while. For a little more, you'd be getting a new unit and there's something to be said for that. Refurb is a crap shoot IMHO. Get that receiver, and the dayton 10" sub from part express, along with your favorite speakers and you'd be set for awhile.

ChrisYK

Stunt Coordinator

Sorry for the veer off-topic, but I've seen several mentions of the dayton 10" sub and am curious as to how good it is. Of course it would be an improvement over my current setup, but I was planning on getting either a Hsu or SVS later this year, so would the Dayton still be worth it?

Tim Stumpf

Stunt Coordinator
I have the dayton. It can be had for around $100 and you would be hard pressed to find any piece of audio gear that gives you the performance for the dollar that the dayton gives. It will add real punch to your DVD watching experience and is decent with music also. Having said that, it's not going to be in the same class as SVS or the better Hsu subs. But you're going to have to give significantly more coinage for those subs. For $100, try the dayton and if it does not satisfy your bass needs, hook it up to your computer or some other system you may have and pluck down the dollars for the SVS etc. I think you'd get you money's worth out of the dayton regardless.

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
I've had good luck with this following setup for my cousin:

Pioner 412 recievers ($90 at CircuitCity as floor-model or $120 as new-box)
Sony WM-40 Subwoofer ($80 at CircuitCity floor-model or about $140 new)
And then you have your choice on speakers. I personally like the Klipsch Quintets as a small satellite setup and they sound quiet nice. Or you can go with some lower-end bookshelfs that you can always upgrade and such. Either way I think the Pioneer recievers is a very nice piece, especially for the price. I believe retail was about $200 a little while ago but I believe they are bringing in a new model which is why it is so cheap.

Also, the Sony sub is good for music but lacks a little in movies.... but as for a good kick it does deliver without a doubt. Unfortunatly a sub is usually one of the more expensive parts in a HT until you start going up on price...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks