First reactions to SVS 25-31

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bob Ahlberg, Jul 31, 2002.

1. Bob Ahlberg

Bob Ahlberg Agent

I confess, I'm impressed. I've done a couple of DIY subs in the past; one in a 3 cu. ft. sealed box with a NHT 1259 driver and one with a jbl gti1200 car audio driver that was 3 cu. ft. ported and tuned to 28 hz. They both performed well and it was finally a killer price on a b-stock svs that made me take the plunge.
    First observations.
    1. It's about 3db less sensitive than the other subs at calibration levels.
    2. The level of deep (well...below 40 hz) output was so much better, I was truly unprepared for it. Both of the previous subs measured flat below 30 hz in my room at the listening position. While I didn't do a frequency sweep, I did try a number of discs that I am familiar with:
    a) The pod race on TPM...the weight...if not the volume of the bass was far better with the SVS.
    b) The Matrix...all the classic scenes. Where the SVS really showed it's mettle was during the helicopter/machine gun scene and the helicopter crash scene. In the machine gun scene, I was looking not only for sheer output, but for the transient response of the driver. In the crash, hey...I was looking for output and it was clean at higher volumes than I normally listen to...and finally my 130 watt thx certified amp started crying uncle. Guess what upgrade is next?
    c) the THX trailer...the sudden impact was great. My 17 year old son was grinning ear to ear.
    d) The one music disc I used was Saint Seans Organ #3 and the finale on track two was clean and deep. I didn't use it as much on music simply because my B&K Ref 30 doesn't hold a candle to my Audio Research tubes that I use for music...and since I don't have a crossover for the sub, I couldn't integrate it for music only. Besides, my Revel Performa F30's do a nice job on most of the jazz and classical and classic rock I listen to. Not that a sub wouldn't help...but that will be my next purchase...but this time a pci series so I can integrate it in at about
    35-40 hz.
    So...long way of saying...for my purposes, I would have to spend WAY more to get small increments of improvement over this entry level SVS. Could I pick nits? Sure, the "sock" moves around easily if you aren't careful while moving the sub around. It was not as heavy as I expected...but then, I'm used to 3/4" mdf heavily braced sub boxes.
    As a bonus both Ron and Tom answered my emails the same day they were sent.
    One satisfied customer added to the list. [​IMG]
    Bob

2. JackIR

JackIR Stunt Coordinator

Bob,

Just curious, I also have Revel F30's with my SVS sub. What crossover are you using with the sub?

3. Bob Ahlberg

Bob Ahlberg Agent

Right now I'm not using the sub with the Revels for music. I would probably try a low crossover in the 40hz range since in my room (15x25x8) I get very good bass extension out of the Revels. Still, when I did try it for HT...I set my Revels to large and used a 60hz crossover. Major impact without boom or overhang.

What are you driving your Revels with?
    Bob

4. JackIR

JackIR Stunt Coordinator

Bob, Thanks for the info.

I'm using a Lexicon MC12 processor with a EAD Powermaster 2000 (5 X 400 watts)