First PS3, XBox HD DVD Add-On Sales Numbers

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

These numbers are US through the end of November. Can't wait to see what they will be by the end of the year.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
Selling 42,000 in 2 weeks is very good. And we have to remember, that's 42,000 people purchasing it for the sole purpose of playing HD-DVDs.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
So a half percent of Xbox 360 owners bought the addon? That doesn't sound very good at all. Guess it does explain why I've seen nothing but stacks of them at most retailers (just a local observation). Best Buy alone had a circular column of at least 100. Microcent completely encased their game section register area with probably 50 or so. I don't know how fast they are being restocked though.

When compared to the number of HD DVD and BD (standalone) players sold, it does look good but as an addon, it is tracking just like any other addon ever sold for a console.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

Fact is the numbers seem to reflect MS's ability (or inability) of getting the item out. Seems like MS bought out the marketplace on those hard to get blue diodes. If there were 100 HD add-ons, it shows what the store expects to sell through. If every store has that level of stock, the sell through numbers should be great by the end of the year. Good news indeed.

BTW, as I understand the numbers, they were through the 25th of November, about 10 days, and they are tracking considerably better than average add-ons which normally fade as quickly from the market as they arrive. Considering virtually no advertising, not too shabby at all.

With the speed that the 360 is selling this season I would assume that the stores want to stock as many add-on's as they can, I just find it streches credibility that MS could supply enough add-ons to allow any store to display a hundred units. Hope it is true, though.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Seems like good news all around to me. It really shows that there are gamers, not just home theater nuts, that truly ARE interested in HD media.

Brent T

Second Unit

However this add on has nothing to do with playing any games nor does it add to the enjoyment of any games. This add on only has one use and thats to watch a particular video format. IMO these numbers are beyond fantastic when you consider that.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
If the half percent is indicative of the number of gamers who are truly interested in HR-movies, then the equivalent of 0.005 x 200.000 = 1000 of the gamers who have been buying the PS3 lately will have entered the BD market recently.

That's not a big number, even if, for some unknown reason, we may multiply this interested parties by a factor of 2 or 4. And it's still much less than the 42,000 for HD DVD.

Cees

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
No, that half-percent is indicative of how many x360 gamers are willing to pay an additional $200 for HD movies. The difference is that the PS3 owners don't have to buy anything additional to play Blu-ray movies. It is just a feature that comes as part of the package. They pay their extra right away and seeing that it is still in the launch area, they can't keep them on the shelves. The only additional investment they have to make now is in the movies themselves. We'll have to wait for BD sales to know how many made that small investment to try out BD.

Eitherway, it is still a lot smaller number than I was expecting based on what the HD DVD and 360 enthusiasts were chanting prior. Industry estimates put over 100,000 addon's on shelves at launch. So by the end of Nov, less than half of those sold and that included being available on Black Friday. This weekend and next weekend are the biggest shopping days of the year, and there are plenty of drives out on store shelves, so we'll see how many of those are bought up.

The first couple months of the new year will really be interesting to see the pattern of software sales for both BD and HD DVD.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

Jason, as I read the full report, it was through 11/25, not the end of the month. This was about 10 days of US sales. Previously, MS had announced that the demand was more than they expected, so part of the problem was supply. What the final numbers will be is completly conjecture at this time, but what is looking like fact is what many have been saying, that the interest in these consoles, both the PS3 and the XBox 360 is first and foremost games. I expect that by Christmas the add-on should be able to sell through between 125 and 175k (probably closer to the low end), and about 500k PS3's will have made it to market if the current numbers hold (Worldwide). Either way, there will now be enough players on both sides in the market that there will be an impact to exclusive studios, and hopefully that will translate into tangable losses to the studios who have decided to pick sides.

As far as increased sales of video content, I would have expected an immediate spike in the numbers that I have not found anything to confirm. I believe the add-on sales are currently negating any increases the the PS3 sales have made. Understand, this is based on limited release information, and my opinion will likely change when some real numbers make it out.

Ryan-G

Supporting Actor

With all due respect sir,

The price of a 360 + add-on drive is still lower than the price of a PS3. Nor is the BR Drive in the PS3 free, it's still being paid for regardless of whether or not it's needed. They're going *way* out of their way to justify the need for that 50 gigabytes for games, and it's going to end up hurting alot of studios. Filling it with cutscenes is neither cheap, nor very usefull. Meanwhile, the PC front has had that space easily available for years, and I don't think a single titles has filled even a DVD. It's not needed.

You also make the assumption that everyone who purchased a PS3 can utilize BR. It is very much an incorrect assumption. The installed base for HDTV's is still extremely low, without an HDTV, there's absolutely no benefit from BR.

PS3 and 360 have identical function, their purpose is a game machine, the ability to play media is secondary. Very, very, few people buy a console for the Player only, they buy it for the Games. Since they target the same market, and they perform the same function, the percentage using the 360 for a HD Player should be nearly identical to the percentage using the PS3. The price difference is in favor of the 360, so there's no cost benefit for the PS3.

As such, the percentage of 360 owners buying an HD-DVD addon will correlate directly to the percentage of PS3 buyers using the BR Player. ATM there's no factor which would shift usage to one side or another, neither format is dominant.

As far as HD movies go, ATM, this is an apples-apples comparison. If HD-DVD addons aren't moving, PS3's aren't being used as Players.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member

With all due respect, you're wrong. $300 + $200 = $500, the price of the basic PS3. $400 + $200 = $600, the price of the "premium" PS3.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
And some more news from Sony:

With less than 7 days remaining in this shopping season, and under 475K released worldwide, I wonder what dope this Sony exec was smoking.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
C'mon Thomas, they can ship that many easily. Let's break it down:

2,000,000 shipped by the end of the year
- 475,000 shipped in 27 days since it's release
----------
1,525,000 more units to get out before December 31

So all they have to do is ship triple the number of units than they've shipped in total so far. And they have to do it in under two weeks.

Hmmm, yeah they might want to revise that figure.

Ryan-G

Supporting Actor

Really?

Because I can't find a site selling the basic PS3 for under $775, and that price is only Amazon everyone else is $850+. Eb, Gamestop, BB, Amazon, etc. The pricing on just the basic system might only be $400, but it doesn't matter much when all that's sold is $775 bundles.

When you can actually buy a PS3 from the common sites for $400, then I'll be wrong. But for the moment, it's $275 more expensive.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Thats a little bit of a disingenuous argument.

Sony and Microsoft have zero control over how retailers decide to bundle the units they're allocated. Even so, if you were willing to wait in line just this past weekend you could have picked up a none bundled unit for MSRP at Target, BB, CC, etc.

Romar Armas

Second Unit
360's are being discounted everywhere now. Roger's Video in Canada is selling the premium holiday bundle for $399.99 CAD. If you buy it next week, they will throw in GoW for free. Also, for those PS3 owners with 1080i sets that don't support 720p, it seems that they have had to resort to purchasing a separate scaler. That definitely adds more to the cost.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
The discussion point was MSRP, not discounts or bundles. At MSRP these two units are the same price.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

MSRP makes little difference to a purchaser. Sales price is what matters, especially around the holidays. One always factors in discounts into deciding on what to purchase. Currently, the 360 and add-on can is readily available at discounted prices that bring your expenditure down lower than the PS3.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Still a diversion of the point being made, but seeing as it wasn't my point I'm going to drop it and move on.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clarajohnson10