What's new

First projector! Help me choose? (1 Viewer)

Lilly

Auditioning
Real Name
Matt
I have recently put an addition on my home to include a man cave. Part of this room will include a projection home theater. I am looking at the lower end, 720 models, trying not to break the bank.
Any opinions on the Epson Power Lite 710 (model 710HD - V11H475020) or the Ben Q MW519?
Any input is appreciated!

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
It depends on your room and which projectors will work.
1) What is your budget?
2) What is your throw distance?
3) What screen size do you want?
4) How tall is your ceiling?

Lilly

Auditioning
Real Name
Matt
I have pretty much narrowed down the particulars in the two projectors I posted. I'd like to hang around the $700 and under mark for a pj.
My throw distance is virtually unlimited, the room is 24' long.
the screen will be approx. 90" diagonal.
Ceiling is standard 8'

Lilly

Auditioning
Real Name
Matt
720 is ok. This will be a simple application, not a high end installation. It will mostly be used for games, with a occasional movies and tv.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Are you setting it on a table and sitting behind it, or going to ceiling mount it?
It does appear you have already done "some" research here as your screen size goal isn't overtly huge. Most PJ will do 90" from under 10 feet back.

Lilly

Auditioning
Real Name
Matt
ceiling mount, there is conduit and mounting blocks ready to accept any ceiling configuration.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
According to projector central, the Epson 710 will produce that image from 8'3"-9'11" and deal with 16% light/6 fc. Not too bad.
The BenQ needs 9'4"-10'2" but at that size handles..62% light/23 fc.
So the Epson lets you sit closer, if sitting it on a table in front of you, but the BenQ handles a lot more ambient light.
Buy both and see which one you like best.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Lilly, how did you come up with those 2 projectors? I think the Epson 710 would be WAY TOO bright for a 90" screen, even in low power mode. And the Benq 519 is a "classroom" projector, not designed for home theater.
The best projector for your budget is the Benq W700. For a 90" diagonal screen, the lens would need to be mounted between 10'-1" to 11'-2" from screen.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
You think the 710 would be too bright?
I was making my recommendation on "both" cause if this isn't a purposed room, they might need the BenQ to use a projector during the day. Of course, nighttime use they'd need sunglasses...

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
No, I think it's going to be WAY TOO bright. PC lists it as having 55 foot lamberts with a 90" diagonal screen. Lilly said it's going to be a "man cave" and to me that means dark. Regardless, the Benq W700 is the best projector under $700 to fit the room.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks