1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

First post with some questions....

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Josh:Lyn, Sep 23, 2005.

1. Josh:Lyn

Josh:Lyn Auditioning

Hey how is everyone doing? Good I hope.

So here is my situation/question. I have a Denon receiver, DirecTV with Tivo, PS2, and a Denon dvd player(its a lower end model, no manual so not sure on the model other then it was last years), and thats about all I use. My speakers are all Klipsch Referance, the center is the RC35, the towers are RF15's, and the rears are RB10's, as well as an Infinity 10" sub.

I know with the receiver that I have I am not getting the full potential from my speakers, and it never hurts to want something better. I work at Best Buy in the Home Theater Dept, our location has a Magnolia Hi Fi. So I have access to a higher end Denon or a Pioneer Elite. I was asking the guys in the Magnolia room and they all say the new elites dont use the same amps(mosfet?SP) so its not as good as last years models. So I was wondering if I could get some feedback on this. My future purchases will be Definitive speakers as well as a higher end Denon DVD player. Thanks again!

2. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Sound and Vision most recently reviewed a Pioneer Elite receiver and the results were dissapointing. It appears they cut some serious corners on the amp section. Denon has some new models coming so those should be worth waiting for.

3. Steve_L

Steve_L Stunt Coordinator

Josh, the good news is those Klipsch are very efficient speakers, so you don't need mega power to drive them, just good solid power.. no distortion and lot's of features and switching.

I'd be looking at what you can get a Pioneer 1015 for, before forking over the money for a higher end Elite. (A 1015 is essentially a Elite 52TX in non-Elite cosmetics and without a couple of minor features.

http://www.hometheatermag.com/receiv...er/index2.html

4. Josh:Lyn

thanks so much for your responses. I think if I can get my hands on a last year model of the Elite if we still have them I will, otherwise I will get a Denon model. I have been very pleased with my Denon, I did find the model # for it and it is AVR-1505/485. I know it is a very low end model but out of all the ones I auditioned it sounded the cleanest on all levels and I love it. The only thing I don't like about it and didn't think about it when I bought it was that it only has two digital inputs, one coaxial and one optical. Thanks again so much again for your responses.

Josh

5. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

If your Denon receiver has preouts, you could always buy a standalone multichannel amplifier...

6. ChrisHeflen

ChrisHeflen Supporting Actor

7. Josh:Lyn

hey thanks again. I am going to check out that article Chris.