First post...where should I go with what I have...

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Bernie_A, Feb 3, 2004.

1. Bernie_A

Bernie_A Stunt Coordinator

I have a Pioneer VSX-D810S, Sony DVP-NS725P, Volodyne CT100 and Hitachi 51S500 RPTV and no speakers at this time.......Personally, I think I have a good start to a decent little Home Theater. The Pioneer was purchased about 2-3 years ago with the intention of building the HT but I am just now able to finish the system. I am somewhat happy with it but don't know if it's worth keeping and building onto or not.

My question is this: keep it as and build around it or get a HTiB w/o the DVD (which I already have, of coarse), just get speakers or ??? I don't know too much about amps, pre-amps, equalizers, etc and only skim the surface of I profess to know now.

My budget is $1000.

2. John S

John S Producer

I can't seem to find any info on that Pioneer model AVR.

If it is Dolby Digital, you may as well try it.

3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

you have nice gear. as long as the receiver is current (dd/dts), then i think you're fine keeping it.

i would definitely look into just getting some speakers.

i absolutely would *not* go with a htb at this point. you'll lose when it comes to the speakers that come with htb's - they're pretty much all lousy.

make sure you read our beginner's faq - lots of good info in there....

4. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

I can recommend the Rocket ELT system from AV123. It comes in at $900 and I think is a very fine value at that price.

This assumes that your Pioneer is a DD capable, 5.1 receiver—I really could not find anything out about it.

If you feel the need for another receiver, AV123 will package up a Denon 1804 with the speakers for another $350.

5. Bernie_A

Yes, the reciever is d/d and dts. I made sure it component video and s-video and optical, etc. It's a 5.1 and not 6.1 but that doesn't bother me too much. That's great news! I will begin my search for speakers.....I'm partial to Polk Audio but I've got to find a good hi-fi dealer and get out of the big box stores.

Thanks for the help.

6. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Since we're discussing specific receivers, I've moved the thread here. The Basics area is for general discussion at the beginner level, not specific model recommendations. Thanks!

7. Paul_Ptaaty

Paul_Ptaaty Stunt Coordinator

Agree with the others here, spend the full $1000 on speakers, and make sure you get something you really like. If that means only 2 speakers for now, rest later that is OK. The last thing you want to do is buy some speakers that are just OK and wish you had more. If you already have a 5.1 receiver there isn't a need to get a HTIB.

Be sure to look into a sub/monitor set up. *edit* then you could pick up a nice set of monitor speakers that extend to 80Hz....this type of configuration is esp preferred considering your lower powered receiver. Unloading the low freqs to a powered sub will free up the receiver to do a better job with the rest.

Good luck, and make sure to hear as many speakers as possible, consider trying some internet sold speakers (Axiom, Ascend, etc) but don't limit yourself.

Just something to look into!

*edit* removed sub suggestions, missed he had a CT100

8. Alex_Longoria

Alex_Longoria Auditioning

It's ok to start as long your reciver is dolby digital and dts then you're ok. for spekaers well you have to look for them and compare with other and the ones you like most then buy em.

9. Bernie_A

I just realized that it is a 6.1 as well. How does that change my speaker options? I can add a rear sub as well as a rear-center. My room is only about 14'x14' with 12 foot ceilings and with couches and RPTV,tables, etc I would think I am going to need smaller a speaker package. This is going to be almost exclusively used for watching movies.

10. ChrisHeflen

ChrisHeflen Supporting Actor

Bernie, here is a little about your receiver from Pio's web-site.
    It seems pretty capable. With those pre-amp outs, you can even add an amp down the road.

I set up one for my boss a while back and it seems pretty good. If I remember right, the only thing I didn't like is the lowest crossover setting is 100 hz. Good for small sat. spkrs, but not good for larger sizes that you still wanna cross over lower. Sounded great with his Energy "Take 5s".

You can have a rear center but as far as the rear sub, probably not since there is only one sub output. You could split it and put one in the back but I don't know how good that'll work.

I have no idea about your dvd player, but I agree with the others here, blow it all on speaks.

Stereo: 100 Watts x 2
    Surround: 100 Watts x 6
    Digital Decoding and Processing

Crystal and AK Digital Signal Processing
    DTS 5.1 Decoding
    Dolby Digital 5.1 Decoding
    Pro-Logic Surround Decoding
    DTS/ES Compatible
    96kHz/24-Bit Digital to Analog Conversion
    7DVD-Audio Ready
    7.1 Channel Inputs
    Pre-Amp Output ALL Channels