What's new

First Post - New To The AV Sector and Need Help Chosing The Right Sub (1 Viewer)

Byron_O

Auditioning
I just purchased a new home and I'll have a room dedicated as a HT. The dimensions are 18.5x16 with 9ft ceilings. As I live in Louisiana, we have no basements. The room will be on the 2nd Level of a 2-level home and has no windows. It has floored attic space on 3 sides. I am trying to find the best sub to compliment this set up:

Fronts: Infinity Beta 40s
Center: Infinity Beta C250
Surrounds: Infinity Beta ES250's
AR: Yamaha RX-V2500

Initially, I was trying to match up the finish as the current speakers are all Beech colored (minus the surrounds, which are black). I'm not really worried about that anymore, as I'd prefer sound quality over the appearance of the speakers. I would like to keep the sub size on the small size if possible. I'm just trying to find the best sub to compliment this set up to about $600-700.

I've read several posts about HSU, SVS, Mirage, etc. I thought of going with the Infinity SW-12 in Beech, but after reading the FR specs, I figured I'd look elsewhere. I noticed the Canton subs, but don't know much about them. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

SethH

Senior HTF Member
If I were in your situation I would get either the SVS 25-31PCi or the 20-39PCi along with the Behringer Feedback Destroyer (BFD). This will come out to right around $700 for both. The BFD will help you integrate the sub into your system to get optimal performance.

You may also want to consider getting an Auralex SubDude if you're concerned about too much bass being passed through the floor. It won't stop it altogether, but will help to isolate the sub from the floor.

TimJC

Stunt Coordinator
Or, go with the PB12-NSD/V for $699 + shipping. This will give you similar performance to the 20-29PCi, but with a little more extension. Then save up for the BFD.

.. ain't this fun?

Tim

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
That is just begging for an IB install. If you are half-way handy with some tools you can the best bass in the world.

-Robert

DonnyD

Screenwriter
Welcome to the world of Home Theater and you have come to the right place, where most of us share the passion of HT. We are more than willing to help you spend (or overspend) until the obsession is reduced, although it may not be held in check for long.

On the subject at hand, the best bang for your buck maybe SVS. Contact Tom V. (who frequents this forum regularly), advise him of your room dimensions etc, and give him an opportunity to professionally address your needs. Having had several SVS subs, I always got more bass than I paid for along with the superior service that SVS is known for. I can personally give a thumbs up for the PCi (cylinder)subs and the PB (box) series. I am in amazement of the quality of bass achieved for such little money.

Again, welcome to the Home Theater Forum..... enjoy.

Byron_O

Auditioning
Thanks for the quick replies. I hadn't considered the cylinder subs at all. In looking at the SVS subs, seems like this would be a good option. I'll make sure to contact Tom V. to get his input also. I've been playing around in my current residence with an old Yamaha HTIB for a few years. I can't wait to get the real deal. Thanks again everyone!

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You quoted me but mentioned cylinder subs.
By IB, I meant infinite baffle. Subs like these. With your $700 budget you could get four 15's and a pro amp with money left over.

-Robert

Byron_O

Auditioning

Robert, you can tell I'm new at this. I have to admit, I had no clue what IB was. Cool idea. I would have never thought of this. Is this the type of setup you're using?

Jacob C

Second Unit
there are a lot of people that prefer HSU over SVS I wouldnt cross them off too soon. I still can't decide myself.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
My plan is to install an IB. I currently have four 15" subs from TC Sounds and will be getting my MDF this weekend. I will build it so I can add another four 15's if the four I have aren't enough. All powered by a pro amp with up to 2,400w available.

If you want to learn more, then "The Cult of the Infinitely Baffled" is your place to start. There are no off-the-shelf IB installs. Every one is custom. If you aren't comfortable building something or cutting a hole in the wall of your room, then stick with retail. If you want to take a chance, then you will be rewarded with the clean, un-colored, DEEP bass. It's also nice that you won't even see the subs in the room.

-Robert

Byron_O

Auditioning
Thanks for all of the advice. I made a decision, so I hope it'll work. I bought the HSU VTF-2. Once I get the HT room set up, I'll see how it sounds and go from there. I appreciate the input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks