First post - low budget receiver

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Adam Bluhm, Feb 10, 2002.

1. Adam Bluhm

Adam Bluhm Supporting Actor

I've been doing much research on ht equipment. Upon running into this forum, I've found my knowledge is not very deep and there is much more to learn. [​IMG]
    Anywho, I'm looking to spend

2. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

Adam,

For $400.00, I would recommend the Denon 1802, Onkyo 595 (hard to find now, as it may've be discontinued), Marantz 5200, and Harmon Kardon 220. The Kenwood 509 is a contender as well. I am sad to state that the Sony's in your price range are outclassed by the manufacturer's listed above. The DE series Sony's have generally weak amps, and begin to hiss at moderate volumes. Many on this forum have owned them and have been very disappointed with their performance. My Mother recently purchased one 9I don't know the exact model number) rated at 80 watss per channel for $200.00, and it has no punch whatsoever. the amount she spent on this junk could've placed her in an Onkyo 494 or a Denon 1602 for a little more money. I don't have much experience with the Pioneer's in this price bracket, but at least the response to them on this forum has been mixed, unlike the DE series Sony's. I personally have the Denon 1802, and it has clean power, Adjustable DPL2, and pre-amp outs for the front channels if you should decide to add an external amp. It is rated at 80 watts per channel. I can sometimes crank this baby to reference levels without so much as braking a sweat. it's only flaw that I can see is the remote, and the faceplate could be better. This is my recommendation, and if you do a search on this forum, you will find lots of info on the other receivers I recommended as well - which all happen to be favorites of many members around here.

Reg

3. Adam Bluhm

Thanks for your reply and opinion. [​IMG] It's much appreciated.
    Upon first glance, the Denon does look good in terms of specs. I'm looking at options and general prices at crutchfield.com. Is there another place to get the same general info listing other models of ht equipment? The selection at crutchfield can look limited at times.
    Thanks again!

4. Brandon_T

Brandon_T Screenwriter

Adam,

Where in PA do you live? You may want to check out one of the factory stores by Sony in that state. They sell refurb.(b-stock) recievers there, and for that kind of money, you could step up to a refurb. ES model that will give you a huge lift in performance for the same dollar. Just a thought. Good luck.

Brandon

5. Jason Hammerly

Jason Hammerly Supporting Actor

Just my $.02. I was in the same situation as far as the $400 range goes. I decided I could do without things like DPL2 and lots of different DSP in favor of a strong amp section and clean sound with the ability to upgrade with external amps. Found a refurb Pioneer VSX-D709s on refurbdepot.com for $200. This is an excellent performer for the price. In fact, it has the same guts as the Elite VSX-33TX http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/Pi...22,440,00.html . I got one and firmly believe that it's the best deal out there right now after 2 months of looking. You should check it out. I got it with a 3 year extended warranty for under $250 shipped. Sweet deal IMO. It makes my old JBL's sing, and I can't wait to hook it up to my JBL NSP1 set I got the other day (another sweet deal at $230 shipped I might add)! Take care, and let us know how the looking goes.

6. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

7. Albert M

Albert M Stunt Coordinator

If DPL2 is not a big deal, then go with that Pioneer VSX-D709s deal. That is a steal for $250 with 3 year warranty Jason.

8. Jason Hammerly

I agree. I'm very impressed with it. Thing is built like a tank. 5 channel stereo helps to make up for lack of DPL2 IMO. Later.

9. Tony Lai

Tony Lai Stunt Coordinator

Did you see the post about the new Yamahas?

RX-V430 and up?

Worth a look IMO.

T.

10. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

it sounds like you have some flexibility in your budget. if so, take a look at outlaw. i've never heard their stuff, but they get really good reviews across the board. i think the 1050 was reduced to 500 bucks. other than that, take a look at the onkyo and denon in your price range. both make great performing receivers. i generally prefer the denon for the better amp, but the onkyo's (which i have) are excellent performers for their pricepoint.

either three will make an excellent receiver.

btw - stay away from the sony stuff (non-ES line) period.

11. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Jason's right, for the money you can't beat the Pioneer 709
    The UK website Home Entertainment had it rated at the top of their list. They even rated it higher than a Sony ES model. The model they tested was the english version 709RDS
    which is the same as the 709S
    www.home-entertainment.co.uk
    then click BYERS GUIDE & then click INTERGRATED AMPLIFIERS
    for the complete list of receivers they tested.

12. Adam Bluhm

Thanks for all of the responses and opinions, fellas. They're all much appreciated. [​IMG]
    I'm going to assume the Sony ES line is just a better quality product they put out. I'll check out the links posted as it looks like Denon or Pioneer are the ways to go. I'm planning on going with some JBL's along the Northridge line. I'll keep it simple and look into bi-wiring/amping in the future. Non of that fancier stuff for me... yet. [​IMG]
    Thanks again, guys.
    Oh, I'm about 1 hour west by west by west by west by northwest of Scranton. [​IMG] If I become a frequent here, you'll find I'm always finding other products and am always torn between two, three, and even four or more products. I'm always learning something new and love reading about advances, options, and upgrades.
    ...probably like every single one of you. [​IMG]

13. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

Adam,

As I stated earlier in this thread, I have a Denon 1802. If you are going with the JBL NSP-1, I couldn't recommend it high enough, especially since I have these puppies being powered by the 1802! The only difference is that I have the slightly larger N-26's as my mains and N-24's as my surrounds. This speaker package is very much the over-achiever in its price bracket and would match beautifully with the Denon 1802 or Onkyo 595. I am surprised how close to actual cinema these speakers sound for what I paid. Again, I have no experience with the Pioneer, but would find it difficult to believe that a non-elite Pioneer's amp could match the Denon's. The Denon is known for playing at reference levels with all channels driven with very little strain.

Good Luck!

Reg

14. Adam Bluhm

I was actually looking at the floorstanding N38's for the main and 24...maybe 26's for the surround. Thanks for the reply. I'm pretty much sold on the JBL's after extensive research and a very valued opinion from someone in the HD commercial biz. [​IMG]

15. Joe_H

Joe_H Screenwriter

definitely avoid the sonys.

16. Jason Hammerly

17. Adam Bluhm

Thanks again, fellas.
    I'm leaning toward the Denon. It looks and sounds like a winner... no question.
    Although it may be off-topic, feel free to comment on the other pics (Panasonic DVD and Sony 32"). [​IMG]

18. Adam Bluhm

One more thing, if you guys don't mind. I'd be using these components for both movies and music. Couple things, really.

I'm assuming this receiver is made for both, and not just one. Would this be a correct assumption (give slightly better performance with one or the other)?

Also, would you recommend the DVD player for audio playback, or a seperate CD player?

19. parin_patel

parin_patel Stunt Coordinator

Adam,

Both Reggie and Jason made excellent suggestions. From what I've heard and read, the Pioneer is hard to resist for the price. If you're not comfortable with buying refurbished products, then both the Onkyo 595 and the Denon 1802 are great receivers.

I was in a similar situation in December and was considering a Sony STR-DE875/975 receiver initially to pair up with JBL speakers. The Sony isn't really as bad a receiver as many people on this board make it out to be. My friend has a Sony STR-DE845 hooked up to a JBL ND310/N26/S-Center System and it sounds pretty good. Actually, I decided to get a home theater system myself after listening to his sytem for a year.

Anyway, based upon suggestions made by Reggie and others, I went to Circuit City and was able to test out the Sony 975, Kenwood 509, and the Onkyo 595 on a pair of Infinity Speakers and also went over to the Good Guys to listen to the Denon 1802. Well, I can tell you that the Onkyo and Denon receivers definately sounded better (more clarity, fuller sounding) than the Kenwood/Sony ones. I had a hard time deciding between the Onkyo and the Denon, but went with the Onkyo in the end, because I liked the interface/remote better and it had the 2/2 Optical/Coaxial Inputs I was looking for rather than the 3/1 on the Denon.

As for the Speakers, the JBL's were the best speakers in the price range I was looking for and I wound up buying a S312/S36/S-Center Setup from J&R. After setting it all up and listening to DVD's and Music for the last month, I'd have to say that I am very pleased with the setup I have. This forum is great for people looking to set up their first home theater system.

20. Adam Bluhm

I thank you for the reply. At this point, I'm looking at the Denon 1602 as the biggest difference I see between the 1802 and 1602 is 10 watts/channel. I'm not about the throw another $100 at that. Also, the Onkyo won't satisfy me at 55 watts/channel at the amount I'm willing to spend on a receiver... at this point. The Pioneer is a bit tantalizing, but your opinions and the info I've read seems to make the Denon sound like a better purchase in all aspects.
    As for my previous post, I did some brief reading about preamps and amps (don't know the difference [​IMG] ) and have come to the conclusion I don't need to mess with any of that right now. I still know very little right now, but at this point, that's okay. [​IMG]
    I was originally going to go with all Panasonic/Technics equipment as I have access to all of those products for wholesale. Well, research can be a pain sometimes. [​IMG] I've limited my Panasonic to a DVD player as I've read good things and also think my current RV-30 player is fantastic (for the price and options). I'm slightly Panasonic biased as I've never had any problems with their products (Quasar alike) and still think they make quality equipment. As for their newest HD sets and low option receivers...
    ...well...anywho..thanks. [​IMG]