First Post looking for a receiver

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by perryG, Feb 1, 2005.

1. perryG

perryG Auditioning

I am currently thinking about upgrading my antiquated Pioneer Stereo Receiver with a new Home Theater Receiver. I am looking in the $300 range which seems to be the sweet spot of bang for your buck. The models I am considering are the Sony STR-DE897 which seems good on paper. It is a 7.1 system with a nice universal remote that will control just about any device made including the TV. I am not sure I need 7.1 because it is just another speaker to have to deal with. I can currently run 5 speakers without much Hassle. The center rear will be a pain at this point. So anything 5.1 or above is good. The Sony manual says some models have up conversion and some don't so is this Russian roulette or something? The Yamaha is a 6.1 system with a simple remote for just the receiver. It has up conversion which might come in handy when I get an HDTV. The Kenwood sounds good but the details are not available since they don't seem to have an online manual available. I don't like the fact that there are only Bass and Treble adjustments on all three of these units. I would like to use my 10 band graphic equalizer but I guess I will have to run that through one of the AUX channels like for the tape deck which means I can only use it with Stereo sources with two speakers operating. The speakers I have are old Bass Reflex and some are pretty good and some are not. So I have hodge podge of speakers ranging from 12" to little 4" minimus 7's. Please excuse my ignorance of the Home Theater World.

Perry

2. John S

John S Producer

Well, with the reviews on it.. You should give the Pioneer 1014 a look. Only a little bit more. Plus it has a full EQ available for each channel!!! That is sweet indeed.

Actually, in your price range, I think the Pioneer 1014 would be pefect and probably way best buy and keep you pretty happy for a long time.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Sonys always looks good on paper, but the truth is, their receivers are not that spectacular. The 1014 would defintely be a better choice, but I'd look at Onkyo, Denon, Marantz and Harman Kardon also in your price range.

4. RyanJE

RyanJE Second Unit

Hey Perry,

I was thinking about going with the pioneer that these guys are talking about. Let me Know which way you go with that. I've read numerous good reviews about it and it seems pretty comprehensive for the money.

5. RyanJE

RyanJE Second Unit

Hey Perry you can find this model for under 300 shipped. Use pricegrabber.

It is very similar to the 1014. Its 6.1 instead of 7.1.
    the d914k.

Also, if you want you can rig your reciver to sound much like 7.1 by hooking up parallel dual rear centers.

6. perryG

perryG Auditioning

I can't even find the 1014 on the pioneer sight. Anyone have a link for it? I will check out the 914.

Thanks

Perry

7. RyanJE

RyanJE Second Unit

Perry
    The 1014 isn't on the sight for some reason. But if you click on the Brochure link on the far left of the receiver page the 1014 is in the adobe doc. Also search for it in google. If your willing to bump up your Budget the yamaha Rx-v650 can be had for almost the same as the 1014. Both models have automatic calibration systems which you'll probably find to be a great luxury. I dont have any personal experience with them but I sure as hell wish I had one! Calibration is a bitch and time consuming.

8. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I believe the 1014 was discontinued because the 1015 is coming out. That would make it a good time to shop for a 1014...

Calibration takes no time at all; it takes me about 30 min tops in a typical room, longer in a problem room or lousy setup. Proper speaker location/orientation can take a while though.

9. RyanJE

RyanJE Second Unit

True. Plus you have to buy a calibration disk +$40 and an SPL meter +$40 and the spl meter doesn't account for non flat frequency response based on room acoustics. So you cant actually calibrate completely accurately. Also anytime you move the speakers or rearange you have to re-calibrate. And you have to re-measure distances.

Am I wrong? Is auto calibration not a luxury feature?

10. perryG

perryG Auditioning

Here are some reviews I found on it (but it won't let me post them) Sounds perfect to me. How does the EQ work is it just an autocalibrate function or can you manual adjust the EQ?

I had some review links to post here but it says I have not posted enough to be allowed to do it.

I am thinking the 1014 is the way to go. A little more than I wanted to spend but then again how often do I buy a new receiver (lets say once every 20 years or so LOL)

Perry

11. John S

John S Producer

If/When you get it going, come on bacl and give your personal impressions of it.

It is a ton of bang for buck, I have seen it for $350 or so. I mean if just the pre/pro section is good, you just can't go wrong at all with it. I would love to get to play around with one some myself.

12. RyanJE

RyanJE Second Unit

You can do both, Auto cali and manual adjustment. Its easier to let it auto calibrate because it takes into account room acoustics, which is hard to account for with common SPL meters.