First post ever...need system building advice

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan_Jones, Dec 3, 2001.

1. Dan_Jones

Dan_Jones Stunt Coordinator

Hello everyone. Long time lurker-first time poster.

As it is the Christmas season, and since my parents required me to allow them to get me something...I decided on starting up a home theater project, instead of the lame PC 5.1 speaker system, and the jimmy-rigged prologic system (running on boombox speakers and a old sony receiver) that I have currently for a HT. I'm 20 just so you know and in college.

So, here's what I'm thinking:

Onkyo TX-DS595 - $365 from JandR.com (Christmas Present) - already ordered.

Now, here's what I'm going to have to buy; unless I can get the parents to buy the sub too..doubtful though.

Sony SB-SW40 subwoofer. Hopefully Best Buy will run it on sale sometime, or I'll just pick it up online...but from what I've read all over the place this is the best subwoofer in the bang for your buck margin; and I am of course looking to save bucks. Of course I'd love an SVS, but I don't have the money for it and I'm 95% sure this is the sub I'll be getting.

Now; here's where things go up in the air.

Surrounds: Axiom Audio Millennia M3Ti (Basically decided on)

Center: Axiom Audio VP100

Now, I'm kind of lost on the fronts; and possibly even on the center channel. I'm on a budget of lets say under $1000 for the speakers...the Axioms come to $495 and for the hopes of a christmas gift we'll say the sub doesn't count. So I have about $500 to work with fronts. Of course my first thought would be to stick with the Axioms and get the M40Ti's for fronts, but I'm kind of torn as perhaps I could do better overall with spending just a wee bit less money. I've read rave reviwes about the M3Ti's and I do want to stick with them; but I'm wondering if possibly a more flexible center/fronts setup would be better as it seems most people don't find the VP100 to be that overwhelming, or the same great value (considering) as compared to the M3Ti's...

Can anyone suggest me solid fronts, and perhaps even a center that could possibly do it for me. Keep in mind that the $1000 is the pinacle I'd spend; of course I'd like to spend less if possible, in that it doesn't hurt quality considerably.

Thanks guys in advance; searching through endless posts has truly helped me, and made me really want to be sure what I'm buying is what is the best fit for me.

2. Dalton

Dalton Screenwriter

Dalton
    Dan,

First off, welcome to the forum! Do you have your heart set on the Axiom's? They are very good speakers from what i have heard but i don't know anything about them personally. With a $1000 budget there are plenty of options for you out there. You might want to check into Energy, Home Theater Direct, Acoustic Research and several other good brands offer complete HT packages for less than your budget(I believe they even include subwoofers although you can get them without). These companies all put out well reviewed HT speaker packages. I'm sure some others will chime in with some good suggestions also. Good luck with your new HT Dan!

3. Dan_Jones

Dan_Jones Stunt Coordinator

Hello again. Thanks for the suggestions; I'm definitely looking into them. I have some more news on the Axiom side of things; seems I could get the 2 M3Ti's, the VP100, and 2 M40Ti's for about $830 shipped; which seems pretty good. I'm kind of wondering how well the M40Ti's would do as fronts as I know some people use them as rears. I know I could go up to the M50's for about $120 more, but if its not necessary, then its not necessary.

Anymore thoughts anyone? Anyone have a good deal of experience with Axiom?

4. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

The Axioms should be very good. If your heart isn't set on them then I would look into either Swan Diva 2.1s all around or the ceramic nOrh 4.0 package or SM 5.1 package.

5. KevinGS

KevinGS Stunt Coordinator

Axioms are a great line up of speakers.

I have auditioned the Epic 80 system ,M60s and M3s

They sound terrific, very clean and powerful.

I had a custom installer suggest to me of getting 4 M40s and the VP100 but I decided to get the M60s with the VP150 and QS8 (picking them up this weekend) because they are factory seconds, so great savings for me.

If you don't like the sound of these speakers you can always send them back, no questions asked.

Take the plunge, I am confident you will like them.

kevin