1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

First post, DLP questions :)

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Chandler34, Nov 28, 2003.

1. Chandler34

Chandler34 Auditioning

Hello all,
    Long time reader, first time poster. I must start by saying that I greatly value the opinions on this forum and am now glad to be a part of this.
    I am by nature a home theatre junkie. We set up a theatre about 6 years ago in our home and the time comes now where I am going to completely upgrade the system. Presently we have a 3 gun panasonic CRT projector (i cannot recall the exact model number). Needless to say, this has served its purpose and is in desperate need of replacement. I went to a home theatre store in atlanta to look at current replacements. I was shown a 3 chip DLP made by the same company that produces IMAX and it was absolutely stunning, I mean, I was blown away by the brightness and quality. The system sold for near 40k. This is a bit more than id like to spend and was wondering what input you guys can offer. The projector will need to throw a picture of about 120" Id like to keep price for the projector under 15K. Are there any 3 chip DLP's for this price? Any input would be great! Thanks for such a great forum and any advice [​IMG]

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Just to point out, you've got some serious cash to spend, which can get you some very nice projectors. The marantz single chip i think is like 12-15k, i don't recall exactly, but has nice blacks, and great PQ. Also, for far less than that you could get another, newer/better CRT refurbed that would be better, IMO.

A 120 screen is, however fairly large, so it might be best to go with a DLP to get a screen that big.

3. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

$15k is still a little low for a 3 chip, but there are some pretty nice single chip units out there for that price. 120" is really on the big end of the scale though, so you might need a high gain screen with something that big. I'd personally wait just a little bit for the HD2+ projectors.

4. MichaelDDD

MichaelDDD Supporting Actor

Mike
    This thread is way out of my league, but very educational. [​IMG]

What is HD2+?

5. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

The HD2+ chip is an improvement on their HD2/Mustang LVDS chip. It's still a 1280x720 (16:9) native chip with 12 degree mirriors. Here's a picture of a typical DMD:

[​IMG]

You see the dimple at the middle of each chip? That tends to scatter light. The HD2+ gets rid of that problem, increasing contrast to amazing levels.

The HD2+ projectors also tend to have better colorwheels (the new 7 section wheel). This gives you more accurate colors and even less of the "rainbow" effect.

6. Chandler34

Chandler34 Auditioning

Hey guys! thanks for the replies. After much research, I found a 3 chip DLP made by Home Projections. This model is called the mercury. Although its a bit more than I'd like to spend (~18K) I wonder what the picture quality is like. Does anyone know if this model comes with a lens? Any input would be great! Thanks guys! [​IMG]

7. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

8. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Just want to point out that at 120", you may want to either get a dlp that is at the upper end of the brightness scale or get a screen that has a little gain. This is of course assuming that your room can be completely darkened which I would think, taking the current crt into effect. Some of the current HD2 projectors could accomodate that screen size but I agree with Gabriel that it is at the upper limit.

Curious, what are you using as a screen solution currently? Is it white?

9. Chandler34

Chandler34 Auditioning

The theatre is entirely up for renewal, we currently have a whiteish 120 4:3 inch screen. I have a feeling this wouldnt work for the DLP, and to Gabriel, the projector I am talking about is the 5000gv. Any ideas would be much appreciated [​IMG] thanks guys!

10. Scott Dautel

Scott Dautel Second Unit

Chandler:

Sure the 3-chip DLP's are beautiful and, by design, they will completely eliminate the rainbow effect. However, I think you should seriously be looking at the InFocus ScreenPlay 7200. This is a single chip (TI Mustang HD2 1280x720) DLP with a 5x, 6-segment color wheel and will certainly go a long way towards rainbow elimination (if you can see them at all). It is hitting dealers this month and should street for ~$6500.

Aside from 3-chip vs 1-chip, the other major difference is brightness (4500 lumens vs 1000 lumens). HOWEVER, if you are viewing in a darkende room the SP7200 is perfectly suited to a 120" diagonal 16x9 screen. You'll want the closest seating position to be at least 9 ft from the screen.

After that, I would put some $$$ into a nice screen (A Stewart Greyhawk fixed screen comes to mind) with a gain of at least 1.3 (assuming no seating position is more than 45 degrees off center viewing line).

With this setup, you've done very nicely for < $9K. Quite a difference from the $20K Mercury unit.

Scott

11. david stark

david stark Second Unit

I did hear from a local retailer that infocus are going to release a new projector soon, the 7205 which will have the HD2+ chip. This was back in september and still no sign of it. If buying a DLP (which I will be soon I hope) then I would wait for the HD2+ ones to hit the streets. They will either be better or at least drive the current prices down a bit.

I'm hanging on for the 7205, and other HD2+ models, before buying. Also heard very good things about sim2 projectors, both the domino and the HT line. I haven't seen either personally, but hopefully I will over the christmas period.

12. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

The 5000gv uses a bit older chip, a 1024x768 one (or 2 in this example). So not only do you have lower resolution, you have sort of low contrast (800:1, definitely one of the lower contrast DLP projectors available). It's also very loud and heavy, so you'll have to mount it in a different room. Don't get me wrong, 3 chip DLP's are really REALLY amazing, but that one might not be the best use for your money.

There's more than just elimination of the rainbow effect with 3-chip vs 1-chip. The range of colors and the quality of colors are both much better.

I believe the SP7205 is coming out in Jan/Feb or so.

13. Chandler34

Chandler34 Auditioning

thank you all for the replies. I had looked into the infocus 7200, but the brightness issue would arise. Aside from movies, I would like to throw football parties next year and im sure there would be quite a bit of "noise" light in the room as a result. Perhaps I am asking the impossible, but is there a relatively inexpensive high lum output DLP projector? thanks again you guys, i am learning quite a bit

14. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

15. Thomas_S

Thomas_S Auditioning

My first post as well [​IMG]

I'm reading this thread and I'm wondering when the new technology you guys are discussing will translate over to the DLP rear projection sets. I've been looking at the Sammy DLP rear projection sets, ie. HLN617W, and it seems that the current chip/color wheel has been around for a while. Will this be changing soon? If so, then I think I want to wait before jumping in.

16. JeromeB

JeromeB Agent

Seems like most projectors are designed to give a diag 106” picture at about 14-15 feet, which is about the distance you should be seated from the screen for this size image. In other words, the projector has to be over your head or in your lap which is not the best in terms of projector fan noise. Do manufactures typically provide long throw lens systems, or are there any specific long throw projector which are stand outs for under 5-7k (street price)?

Thanks,
    -jb