First post and wiring question

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by chris_gombola, Nov 4, 2005.

1. chris_gombola

chris_gombola Auditioning

Hello all. I have been lurking for the past several weeks learning all I can from the forum. My wife and I just moved into a SF (split level) home where I finally have space for a receiver and nice speakers. The previous owner actually left his Panasonic satellite speakers for me, 2 front, 2 rear and a center. I want to purchase a receiver as my first step and go to new speakers later on, using these Panasonics in the interim.

The question comes in with his wiring. The speakers are in a room on the lower level and cables have been run through the walls/ceiling. I can access the cables via a storage space underneath the stairs. It appears to be 2 sets of wires coming from the front and 1 wire from the rear (could be vice versa). Being completely new to this, I can't figure out what he was doing. 4 speakers, 3 wires, doesn't make sense to me. Do I need to pull a fourth wire to the rear speakers or is there something I'm missing in this setup? I know he ONLY used 3 wires with this setup because his wall cutouts have only 3 ports for speaker wire access. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

2. Chris Lanni

Chris Lanni Stunt Coordinator

Christopher
    Did he just splice onto the rear wire? When the wire comes out of the walls at the rear to the speakers what does it look like. Did you take the wallplates off and see the connection behind that? I take it that these "sets" of wires are in pairs? Or are they four wire cables?

Gods Love
    chris

3. chris_gombola

chris_gombola Auditioning

Hi Chris,
    The wire sets are 2 wires each, 3 sets total. I have to get my ladder back from a friend until I can get into the attic to look at how he pulled the wires or if he spliced. I'm assuming I'm going to need to fish a 4th set down the wall to do what I want to (5.1).

Chris