What's new

First Post, and Need 5.1 Surround Help (1 Viewer)

I am 15 so I have a limited amount of money I can spend. I am probably only able to afford a complete set and have been looking at some kenwoods and onkyo but would appreciate some advice. My top price is probably going to be 450 or so. Also, would it be bad to have the front speakers elevated higher than the rest? and is wallmounting the back 2 alright? I am not very good with these things and will probably need to be walked through it. I am using it for xbox, music, and tv and dont need it to be at the exact places to produce the "best" sound capable from the speakers. Thanks alot for the help in advance.

Matthew Anderson

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Anderson
David,
I not sure if you are after a complete speaker set or HT set. It you are looking for an all in one HT system, Crutchfield's catalog has some decent all in one systems from Panasonic and Pioneer. It would be better to have your surrounds higher than your main speakes and if you can afford it stands would probably give you better sound than wall-mounted speakers.

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
Here's what I would go with if I had that amount to deal with.
Two pairs of HTD Level One Mains
$39/pr X 2=$78
HTD Level One Center
$29
DLS-10
$99.95
Panasonic SA-HE70K
$144.95
This brings you around $350, which leaves enough to cover shipping and wires. I would much rather have this setup rather than an all in one HTIB. I think this is about the best that can be done for the price, it'll be better than any HTIB you might have been looking at.

Can the top speakers that you shopwed me be front and back? Also, can my fron speakers be elevated or would that not be good? Now I know the back speakers should be facing inwards towards where I woujld be sitting slightly elevated over my head. Could I have them facing towards the tv, center speaker, and front speakers, which is the way I am facing? And what you gave me is better than some onkyo speakers? I heard that they had good complete sets.. but Im stupid when it comes to this stuff...

george.Legeza

Stunt Coordinator
David, having the front speakers elevated above the rear speaker position generally isn't a good idea since the front speakers are going to produce your sound stage. They should be at about ear level and facing towards the listening position otherwise the sound will be coming from above the TV instead of being centered there. It might sound especially strange if your center channel speaker is on top of the TV and only a little above ear level with the other speakers above it.

I think rear speaker placement is more of personal preference, though. I have my speakers in the rear corners of the room above the listening position and facing forward, but my parents like the way it sounds with the speakers just slightly behind their couch and facing in towards them.

Also, you can use any speakers that you want for rear speakers. Having matched speakers will probably give you a much more even sound, though.

I am not familiar with anything like this and was just wondering if that center speaker is good. It seems to be very cheap to be a good quality speaker. I really dont know anything on this subject so I was just wondering.

Patrick Bennett

Stunt Coordinator
David, I'd go with the Kenwood HTB505 (or whatever this year's model is). There are a lot of users here that swear by it (in terms of bang for the buck).
P.S. I was robbed, the refs were paid off! ;)

It was a good clean game and I won :)
Anyway, so you think that the HTB-505 is going to be better than what Frank recommended?

Patrick Bennett

Stunt Coordinator
It's hard to say. They're not the speakers I plan on keeping forever, but I've got Home Theater Direct Level III speakers in my theater now and for the money they're phenomenal.
I think Frank's advice might be worth looking into.
I know nothing about Panasonic's receivers, but HTD is a really good company and I don't have any problems recommending them.
I'd probably suggest just going with HTD's full 5.1 set for $150 (their subwoofer, mains, center, surrounds), unless Frank has something to add about their subwoofer vs. the DLS (which I know nothing about). You probably (haven't done the math) same some money, and lessen shipping costs and support hassles (if necessary).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks