First person shooter, how about first person football.

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Peter Manojlovich, Jul 7, 2003.

1. Peter Manojlovich

Peter Manojlovich Second Unit

2. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Don't a few football games already have first person modes?

3. Peter Manojlovich

Peter Manojlovich Second Unit

Here's a more informative link from IGN. Their media section also has a movie.

http://xbox.ign.com/articles/427/427461p1.html

Morgan, not that I'm aware of. The IGN article makes mention of a couple of old football games that "dabbled" as they say with a first person perspective. It makes me wonder if this is going to be the big thing that Sega will be promoting with their ESPN line. I guess Sega has decided to reveal this feature with EA shortly to release their NCAA title and Madden in early august.

I guess the big question I have is how disorienting is it when you switch players in first person mode.

4. Keith Frederick

Keith Frederick Stunt Coordinator

You probably don't switch as actively in this mode... probably choose a player and stick with it. I wonder if it can work online? I mean, can one person use FP and the other TP? Probably not.

5. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

The problem with first person modes in any game is the lack of the peripheral vision, which makes it very tough to see what's going on.

Most people I know play their sports games from a fairly far out view, if you get in too close, it's much too hard to see what's going on on other parts of the field.

I just don't see how this could work well in any sport.

6. BrianB

BrianB Producer

From IGN:

7. GlenHaag

GlenHaag Supporting Actor

I really enjoyed this feature in Madden 64 when I got that game for the N64. No one has tried it since.

I actually played a whole season that way. It was pretty damn challenging to play that way.

I know it's not for everyone, but it was pretty interesting.

Glen

8. BenS

BenS Stunt Coordinator

Did anyone watch the movie associated with the article? The action is extremely fast. I hope they could work in a matrix type time slowdown when you make a move to the hole you are running through or as you drop back for a pass. Then have some sliders at the menu to speed up or slow the action down during the slow-mo matrix type time warp.

9. Mike__D

Mike__D Supporting Actor

10. Damien

Damien Supporting Actor

11. Michael St. Clair

I say overlay a realtime HUD with X and O icons.

12. Rives Elmore

Rives Elmore Stunt Coordinator

There is a "bullet time" effect in ESPN NFL Football as well, BUT its only when you switch players (to help with disorientation). There is a video of it here :

Beta-7.com Video of FP perspective

The above link goes up and down, he is getting ALOT of traffic.

The video shows 2 very important things. First being that the right analog stick controls the head of the player, meaning you can look from side to side while in motion...no more lack or peripheral vision!!! Secondly it also shows the bullet time effect when you switch players.

There is also a threat indicator to tell you where people are when your not looking around, which kind of mimics the 6th sense players have that lets them know when someone is behind them, beside them etc.

13. Brett Hancock

Brett Hancock Supporting Actor

Looks really cool if you ask me.

14. GlenHaag

GlenHaag Supporting Actor

I really dug the idea of the Crib in the game. If EA is doing their BIO thing, why shouldn't Sega have something where you can collect a bunch of items just by playing the game.

Also, I dug the music straight out of Jet Grind Radio. [​IMG]

After looking at that 1st person perspective video though, I'm thinking that that looks much better than I expected. Hopefully people will buy into it.

Glen

15. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Well, honestly how much can you innovate iwth a football game? You're kind-of locked in