What's new

First "oops" about the 950 (1 Viewer)

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Because I don't listen to a lot of music having only one sub level is ok for me. A post on this thread earlier mentioned:

All four rear speakers have to be set to the same distance!! and furthermore you cant set l/r independently of each other even on the FRONT speakers..

I hope people realize that is a MAJOR problem as your soundstage will be thrown out of whack unless you are one of those lucky people that has a sweetspot that is EXACTLY centered!!

Is this true? That does concern me and will pose a problem. Has anyone else heard anything about this?

Bob-N

Supporting Actor
Vince,

I'm with you. If it's true, I'm hoping it's as easy as a software (uh-oh, what did I say? Another two months?) or eprom update.

I'm going to be sadistic and head over to the 'Saloon' and then suck down some asprins.

I could have dealt with the time delay issues but having to set volumes for different modes might be a deal killer for me. What a PITA if true. I guess we'll find out shortly. Mebbe some of the other beta testers will chime in.

Bob

EDIT: well, I'm back. The thread wasn't too long and the confirmation seems to be accurate as one of the beta testers confirmed it there. bummer.

Legairre

Supporting Actor
All four rear speakers have to be set to the same distance!! and furthermore you cant set l/r independently of each other even on the FRONT speakers..
I hope people realize that is a MAJOR problem as your soundstage will be thrown out of whack unless you are one of those lucky people that has a sweetspot that is EXACTLY centered!!
I didn't relalize all four speakers had to be the SAME distance. Did I miss this? Is this really true?

John Tompkins

Supporting Actor
Yes folks it true..All four rears set to same distance:thumbsdown:
And furthermore FRONTS has to bet set to same distance!!!! this really sucks:angry:
Let me qualify the front statement..The FRONT L/R speaker cant be set independently of each other...So if you have your left FRONT speaker 10 feet away and your right at 11 feet away,,,too bad.
As stated L/R surrounds cant be set independently and also have to be set the same distance as back speakers..one size fits all I guess:frowning:

Richard Burzynski

Second Unit
Scott:

I see your dilemma. Here is some friendly advice from a big fan of DSP's. If your room allows for proper 7 speaker placement, and if you like DSP's, go for the ~$2K Lex MC1 and you will be infinitely happy, *NO* DSP compares to the Logic 7 stuff. Problem with that piece is no analog passthru (if you are planning on DVDA or SACD). 2 channel performance is very good - not earth shattering. Depends where your priorities are.

Rich B.

Graham Perks

Second Unit
This is a real let-down. I too could have lived with the timing issue (I run 5.1), although I understand why people will miss this feature.

But the sub volume setting? Oh man. It looks like I'm back to waiting for Denon to implement multiple crossovers (at 40,60Hz) in a 3803-like receiver.

Just as I was getting excited by the 950, too. Sigh!

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
I guess that I'm one of the few that doesn't have a problem with the speaker distance issue. I'm lucky enough to have a perfectly symmetrical speaker layout. When I go to 6.1/7.1 I'll be using ceiling mounted Klipsch so that won't be a problem either.

I feel really bad for those that have been waiting so many months for this unit only to find out that a key feature for them is missing.

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
Just to clarify...

Can all 7 speakers channels be adjusted for volume separately?? i.e for example, LS: +8db, RS: +4dB

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
Richard,
Thanks for your comments. Logic7 in the Lex has always been the "holy grail" for me as everyone seems to think it's the best DSP mode for movies.
To clarify, I really don't like the DSP modes most people think of - "Church", "Jazz Club", "Bathroom Stall", whatever. But Logic7 seems to add realizm and depth to movie soundtracks and apparently is a huge improvement on DD5.1 and DTS, which is why I'd be interested.
Lately I've thought a lot about this pre/pro decision, and I think I'm leaning towards giving the 950 a shot, based on the fact that is gets rave sonic reviews and is very competitively priced. My front soundstage is evenly balanced and distanced, so no issue for me there. I don't have a 7.1 setup yet and aspire to it soon, and when I do I'll have a small issue because my rear speakers will probably be closer to me than my sides. But, I think I can live with the small distance differential and the fact that I can't independently set a larger delay for the rears. And, I can't get over the fact that sonically it's in the same ballpark as so many highly-regarded and very expensive pre/pros, at a fraction of the price. The price:performance ratio is something that's very attractive to me.
I'm not 100% sure yet, but I think that's where my mind is at this point. It's a pretty safe bet with the money-back guarantee and I think it will serve me well at this point.
In the future I may consider any number of options including a Lexicon, Anthem, etc. But getting the 950 now gives me some more financial flexibility to get better amps as well as speakers.
Then again, those of you who have read my posts this past week probably know the decision "ain't over 'til it's over" ;)
(Evan S, I'd still like to hear what price you get from your Canadian contact - it ain't over 'til...well, you know!)

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Scott, that price is in your e-mail. It's so low I cannot divulge over the net. I think you'll like it.:D

Sam Sugob

Auditioning
It is very easy to find faults with ANY unit; but it is not so easy to find a unit which simply sounds good.

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
Evan,
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Thanks - you just made the decision that much harder! ;)

J

John Morris

I can heartily recommend my Ontario bud Marc, if you really want an AVM-20 at Canadian Dollar prices. I'd be interested in testing how the AVM-20 sounds head to head against the 950?

NickSP

Supporting Actor
Wow, I've never seen as much fanfare and anticipation as this Outlaw Pre/Pro. In any case, I am a firm believer in "you get what you pay for" theory. If it sells for $900 then that tells me Outlaw could have potentially cut some corners somewhere. Has any one of the Beta Testers done a side by side comparison of the outlaw with something like a Denon 3802 as a Pre/Pro?

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Merc, can you send me a PM so I can contact your Ontario bud Marc? I want to compare his pricing with that I got from my Montreal contact because I know Ontario reimburses the PST while Quebec does not. However, I already have trouble dealing with the ride to Montreal, I have no idea how I could handle a ride to Ontario. Let me know.

J

John Morris

Hi Evan: It is no secret who I buy from in Canada, so I don't need to do a PM for this. :) I can heartily recommend buying from Marc at Audioshop in Ontario. I, and others, have bought a bunch of stuff from him over the years and he is very reliable and honest. However, if you want Anthem, you must pick it up. Here is his url if you want to deal directly with him: The AudioShop Hope that helps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks