First "oops" about the 950

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AntonS, Feb 15, 2002.

1. AntonS

AntonS Stunt Coordinator

In case somebody did not follow the forum at outlawauio.com, there has been discussed a serious (at least to me and it to some others too) flaw in the 950 design. It seem that 950 cannot memorize the volume levels separately neither for inputs nor for modes. That means that the subwoofer level cannot be reduced and stored for music but kept normal for movies and you'll always have to adjust it manually.

That's the first serius "oops". Any more to come?

2. John Tompkins

John Tompkins Supporting Actor

All four rear speakers have to be set to the same distance!! and furthermore you cant set l/r independently of each other even on the FRONT speakers..

I hope people realize that is a MAJOR problem as your soundstage will be thrown out of whack unless you are one of those lucky people that has a sweetspot that is EXACTLY centered!!

3. AntonS

AntonS Stunt Coordinator

The biggest concern here is about the sub level. Usually running the sub at the same level for music as for HT is just too much. I prefer setting it much lower when listening to music. Did I miss something and there is a way to do that with 950?

4. Legairre

Legairre Supporting Actor

Anton,

Are you saying that I either have to have the same level settings for music, DD/DTS etc.. otherwise I hve to read just each level when I switch back and forth. If so that's a real pain in the, well you know. Right now my Denon 3300 receiver allows me to have seperate level settings for every speaker in every mode(5 channel stereo, DD/DTS Pro Logoic, matrix, hall, etc..).

Is this what your saying?

Thanks

Legairre

5. AntonS

AntonS Stunt Coordinator

6. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

Yes Denon calls it the "Personal Memory Plus".

To be honest I thought that most every model has this feature they just don't call attention to it by giving it a name like Denon does.

I consider this feature a real essential one.

I must say that I'm loosing my enthusiasm about the 950 a bit more in a last 2 days.

Can any of the Beta testers confirm this?

7. Legairre

That's a great feature on the Denon's. In 5 channel stereo mode my surrounds are +2db higher than they are in DD/DTS mode. Also the sub level is different in my music modes than my DD/DTS modes.

8. Legairre

Anton,
    Thanks for that link. As I was reading it I noticed another problem9(for me at least). Here's a quote from the link:

9. John Tompkins

Another thing that I have asked numerous times with no answer is does the 950 have ANY kind of PURE DIRECT mode. The denon 4802 aligns all 8 of its dacs on 2 channels for stereo, thats 4 dacs per channel. ALSO the 4802 turns off all unneeded circuitry when in this mode..this is a major improvement too! Does outlaw do anything similar to this ???

10. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

Maybe this is a stupid way of thinking about it but this IS a $900 pre/pro. It was likely that it wouldn't have some of the features that people would want. I'm not saying that it's wrong to be upset about the lack of these features on the 950, just that it's not surprising from a certain POV.
    Ziiippppp. Flame away. [​IMG]

11. John Tompkins

Jim C. ok I will start the flames[​IMG]
    Yes this is a 900.00 pre-pro, but remember it is being billed as comparing to a 2500.00 pre-pro. As a matter of fact it has been compared to a 10,000 Lexicon mc-12
    So I think its fair to flame away..[​IMG]

12. Legairre

Jim,

You won't get any flames from me . This just means I'll probably have to buy a pre/pro with more of these features. I'm hoping the Rotel has some of these missing features. Only time will tell.

13. Legairre

John,
    Just read your post. REAL good point. [​IMG]

14. John Tompkins

By the way I was only comparing it to a litlle ole measley 1700.00 receiever[​IMG]

15. Ron Alcasid

Ron Alcasid Stunt Coordinator

16. Legairre

A $1700 receiver? Heck my Denon 3300 only went for $1000 when new and it has all the features we've been talking about. I run two pairs of surrounds and have a seperate distance setting for each pair. Not bad for a $1000 receiver.

17. Dzung Pham

Dzung Pham Second Unit

Don't forget that Outlaw also has plans for a "higher-end" processor. They don't want to shoot themselves in the foot by not having any new features to offer in that model. But if you believe that some of these disadvantages will keep you from buying the 950, I would send an e-mail to Outlaw and let them know. They may have time to do something about it (or just delay the shipment another year).

18. John Tompkins

Ron,PURE DIRECT makes a major difference in resolution as the extra dacs offer better processing and turning off all unneeded circuitry means less interferance. I did an a/b back and forth between regular direct and pure direct..its was, oh a night/day difference..smoother, warmer

legairre, I had the 3300 too and it was a great receiever and your point about the price of 1000.00 with the features is a good one. I will take it one step further.

The bottom of the line sony 400.00 receiver has speaker setting for all speakers and bass management and about 1000 tweaks too. I am defianetly not recommending it, but just making a point about features..

19. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

OK fellas, after reading this thread, my Anthem fever returned!! I'm calling my buddy at St. Hubert in Montreal tommorrow and finding out what he'll sell me an AVM-20 for up there. I'm thinking with retail at $4400 Canadian, I can get him to maybe come down to $3800 easy. Maybe more if I place an order for 3 units or more. If he gives me a quote of $3800 Canadian, with the current exchange rate of .60, that would be a price of $2280 US. Any takers? I'll make another 10 hour round trip up north for $1000 off retail. Send me an e-mail if you are up for it (depending on what I get for a quote tomorrow of course).

20. Jerry Klawiter

Jerry Klawiter Screenwriter

Yes I'm on the list to check one out.

Not sure how long I'll stay on it.

Remember, you only get what you pay...

We are in Corporate Greed America.

Nothing comes for free.

No, I'm not Anti-American, I served my country over twenty years

ago. But Remember of that $900 cost, they do need to make some real profits.

Not much room for extra's.

I think this sky is falling thread will be closed very soon.