What's new

First official confirmation of Aladdin - teaser on Lion King 1 1/2 (1 Viewer)

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Check it out

And The Three Musketeers looks pretty good, IMO.

(Yes, it says Special Edition for Aladdin, but they did the same for The Lion King in promotions and that was still a Platinum Edition).

EDIT: Sorry, had posted wrong URL. Link fixed now. :)

Luis Esp

Supporting Actor
I thought this was going the Imax route, but it's greatly welcomed.

Any chance of a dts mix? I can now retire my ld, can't wait to hear the "Cave of Wonders' in full dd.

Kenneth Cummings

Supporting Actor
Excellent, my favorite Disney movie of all time is coming out (sorry Lion King, but you are second best here). Maybe they will release the television series as well (I betting the direct to video sequels are coming as well).

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Actulally, the first official confirmation of Aladdin was in the booklet for The Lion King DVD, on the back, where it said something like "Look for the next entry in the prestigious Platinum Edition series -- Aladdin -- October 2004." But this is the first trailer and I'm hotly anticipating it. Even if it's just a montage of clips with a narrator talking over it, Aladdin is my favorite movie of all time and if I could only own one DVD ever, this would be it. So I'm way too excited.

Here's the deal on the IMAX release, while we're talking Aladdin. At this point, unfortunately Aladdin WILL NOT be coming to IMAX theaters because Disney was unsatisfied with the IMAX grosses of Brauty and the Beast and The Lion King. They wanted a big blockbuster moneymaker with each IMAX re-release, when they should have realized they would never even break even from the enormus cost of making these 10+-years-old movies look good for IMAX because there are too few screens (I *think* there are around a couple hundred IMAX theaters worldwide, but no more.) It would take DVD sales to help them make back the money they lost on the IMAX releases. However, the IMAX touchups and whatnot for Aladdin, The Little Mermaid, Tarzan, and Pocahontas are all supposedly in the can or were being worked on, so we may or may not be getting the honest-to-God theatrical versions when those come to DVD. (For the record, I'm assuming that Aladdin will be the would-be IMAX cut when we finally get that in October, as will be The Little Mermaid when it returns to DVD in 2005. But since Pocahontas was probably being worked on for the now-delayed new DVD at the same time as they were prepping an IMAX version of it, I think we will get the true original version as well as a new cut with "If I Never Knew You" finished and edited back in. And Tarzan hit DVD before as both a single-disc and two-disc version with an incredible transfer, so I think Disney will most likely just use the same transfer and extras whenever that shows up in the pipeline for a reissue on DVD.) The only way for Aladdin to show up at IMAX now is if Buena Vista Home Entertainment decides to give it a small run late this summer or early fall as a way of promoting the DVD release before it goes on sale October 5th. Which is a real shame since I, among many other Disney fanatics, was really looking forward to seeing it on IMAX (especially since it's my favorite Disney movie of all time.) So I hope that BVHE decides to run it for a little while, but seriously doubt it, especially considering the relatively low gross to date of Disney's current IMAX movie Young Black Stallion. (They're wondering if people will pay to see something new on IMAX instead of a re-release of something they've got on tape already, but that doesn't seem to be working too well, either.)

And the DVD is called Special Edition because they're probably going to add some kind of new song into it like they did for The Lion King and Beauty and the Beast.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
While it is cool that Aladdin will be released in October, I have my doubts as to how well this one has aged. Might have to pull out my old VHS and see how it stands up. Besides, this is one of the first casualties of Disney PC tampering: The line "Where they cut off your ear if they don't like your face" was altered to "Where it's flat and immense and the heat is intense" for the video release due to outcry from the Arab Anti-Defamation League. That's one original line we'll NEVER get to see restored.

Jonathan Dagmar

Supporting Actor
I can understand that cut, and won'd hold that against anyone. It's rather akin to the infamous family guy edit.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks