1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

First of two Tempest Sonosubs finished

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Gregg Bishop, Sep 29, 2003.

1. Gregg Bishop

Gregg Bishop Extra

http://www.ttugly.com/sonosub/final01.jpg
    http://www.ttugly.com/sonosub/final02.jpg

I have more pictures from the last day of work on it, but these were all I uploaded last night. I have shots of the interior, the mounted driver/terminals, etc.

It's an Adire Aligned enclosure, made out of 24" Sonotube. Total width is 27", & stands ~40" tall with the legs.

There are a few minor issues that I don't like, but for the most part it came out as well as I could have hoped for.

Still working on the second one, it should be even better. Know a few things not to do now, & a few TO do, so the final product should be more polished.

My amp is out for delivery today, I haven't had a chance to hear it yet.

Oh, and the biggest single problem I have so far... Now I want to build more.

Gregg

2. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

That looks like a monster! I can't imagine two of them.... yikes!

Nice Job!

3. John_MackieBass

John_MackieBass Stunt Coordinator

good lord thats a large enclosure! What amp?

4. Gregg Bishop

Gregg Bishop Extra

It's powered by a QSC RMX850 that I picked up off of ebay. Pretty impressive, doesn't take much cranking at all to be able to feel the impact all through the house. I haven't moved it into it's final spot yet, I had the amp + sub sitting in the middle of the room & 16 gauge wire between them (all I had, I'm getting my 12 gauge today).

Unfortunately my roommate made me move it to the garage where it's had a fan blowing on it for the last 12 hours. He claims he can smell fumes from it, though I can't smell anything. When I get home today it's going back up though.

I still need a BFD, but even with the shoddy way I had it running it puts a silly grin on my face every time the signal indicator lights up.

Gregg

5. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Gregg, I understand your compulsion. It gets better in time. [​IMG]

6. John_MackieBass

John_MackieBass Stunt Coordinator

I'll be getting a BFD for my RE XXX 18" Project VERY shorty! Tempests are great little toys!!