First of two Tempest Sonosubs finished

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Gregg Bishop, Sep 29, 2003.

1. Gregg Bishop

Gregg Bishop Extra

http://www.ttugly.com/sonosub/final01.jpg
    http://www.ttugly.com/sonosub/final02.jpg

I have more pictures from the last day of work on it, but these were all I uploaded last night. I have shots of the interior, the mounted driver/terminals, etc.

It's an Adire Aligned enclosure, made out of 24" Sonotube. Total width is 27", & stands ~40" tall with the legs.

There are a few minor issues that I don't like, but for the most part it came out as well as I could have hoped for.

Still working on the second one, it should be even better. Know a few things not to do now, & a few TO do, so the final product should be more polished.

My amp is out for delivery today, I haven't had a chance to hear it yet.

Oh, and the biggest single problem I have so far... Now I want to build more.

Gregg

2. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

That looks like a monster! I can't imagine two of them.... yikes!

Nice Job!

3. John_MackieBass

John_MackieBass Stunt Coordinator

good lord thats a large enclosure! What amp?

4. Gregg Bishop

Gregg Bishop Extra

It's powered by a QSC RMX850 that I picked up off of ebay. Pretty impressive, doesn't take much cranking at all to be able to feel the impact all through the house. I haven't moved it into it's final spot yet, I had the amp + sub sitting in the middle of the room & 16 gauge wire between them (all I had, I'm getting my 12 gauge today).

Unfortunately my roommate made me move it to the garage where it's had a fan blowing on it for the last 12 hours. He claims he can smell fumes from it, though I can't smell anything. When I get home today it's going back up though.

I still need a BFD, but even with the shoddy way I had it running it puts a silly grin on my face every time the signal indicator lights up.

Gregg

5. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Gregg, I understand your compulsion. It gets better in time. [​IMG]

6. John_MackieBass

John_MackieBass Stunt Coordinator

I'll be getting a BFD for my RE XXX 18" Project VERY shorty! Tempests are great little toys!!