First Newbie Questions...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Frank Lee, Nov 30, 2002.

1. Frank Lee

Frank Lee Stunt Coordinator

Hi

1. I just talked my wife into letting me upgrade my receiver to the next century. I have been using a Pioneer Dolby Pro-logic receiver, I bought in the 90's. I am looking at getting the Yamaha RX-V1300/HTR-5590. I am hoping the difference is going to blow me away (and my wife). I was planning on using my current speakers, until I can afford new and more later. Can I run 5 speakers in a 6.1 surround system or will that cause problems?

2. I have read here about 7.1 surround systems. Where are the speakers located in the type of surround?

Thanks,

PS...this forum rocks

2. BrentPollard

BrentPollard Second Unit

You will have no prob with the 5 spks. 6.1 encoded material will play fine with 5. In a 7.1 setup you would have the standard 5.1 setup then 2 rear spks farther back and between the side surrounds.If you do a search for "speaker placement" in the Speakers section you will find the answers you are looking for.[​IMG]

3. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

It will be such a BIG difference you will love it! DD 5.1 and DTS sounds so much better than Pro-Logic. I assume you have a DVD player....oh by the way a receiver with Pro Logic II is also a good investment.

4. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

Welcome to HTF Frank! Trust me, the difference between Pro-Logic and Dolby Digital 5.1 is amazing! Make sure you get DTS, because DTS sounds better than DD in most cases. I honestly think that you can run 5 speakers through a 6.1 system and not have problems. The only thing that would happen is that you would not have a rear center channel.

5. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Yes the jump to DD is quite large.... BUT what kind of speakers do you have? If they aren't great already.... a new receiver won't make them sound better. (or very much at least) I am of the opinion that getting started with at least good-sounding speakers is always best. Heck, i'd take stereo with a pair of titans or the like any day over "surround noise". Still, going digital really is a significant improvement. Go for it, you won't look back.

6. Frank Lee

Frank Lee Stunt Coordinator

Hi
    Thanks for all the replies.
    Yes, I already have a DVD player.
    It looks like the Yamaha I am looking at has DTS and DD Pro logic II. I should be set there.
    As far as the speakers I have right now...I have a older Yamaha center speaker,an NS-AC2. I have a pair of Optimus (radio shack branded) speakers for front left and right, STS-1000's. They handle 100 watts RMS. I think they sound great. I'm sure there are others that sound better, but they will have to do for now. The rear speakers on the other hand are also Optimus. They worked good for Pro-logic, but they will have to go for the 6.1. They are crappy sounding and only handle 20 watts [​IMG]. I have an unpowered sub that I will probably have to trade up for a powered one.
    Basically, I'm starting over with the receiver and will probably add rear speakers first then front and center speakers farther down the road.
    Thanks Guys
    Frank

7. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

congrats on the upgrade frank. here's a little more info on what will be different.
    when you upgrade to digital (dts/dd) you'll get two important improvements.
    1. you'll get a discrete signal to each of your rear speakers. you can have dedicated sound coming out of each rear speaker. dolby pro-logic is a mono-signal - the same sound comes out of both rear speakers.
    2. you'll get a full range signal to each of your speakers. dolby pro-logic is a limited bandwidth signal to the rear speakers.
    so, you'll get more sound and better rear panning effects.
    also, you mention you'll be slowly upgrading your speakers. keep the concept of "timbre matching" in mind for this. check the newbie faq (or do a search) for more info on this.
    again, welcome to the age of digital. it's quite the improvement. [​IMG]