First Movie to Get PG-13....?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Vader, Nov 14, 2005.

1. Vader

Vader Supporting Actor

Derek
    Hi, all....

As we were watching "Gremlins" last night, I told my wife that it was the second movie to ever receieve the PG-13 rating. Later when I double-checked, I found I remembered wrong! I was sure that "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom" was the first because of the "beating heart removal" scene. When I checked, I was wrong on that one as well (premature dementia..?). What were the first few PG-13 movies (I still think the first was a Spielberg film....?)

2. Michael Martin

Michael Martin Screenwriter

"Temple of Doom" was the primary instigator for the creation of the PG-13 rating. If memory serves, "Red Dawn" was the first movie given the PG-13 rating.

IMDB confirms this, for what that's worth:

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0087985/trivia

3. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    "Flamingo Kid" was first given a PG-13, but its release delayed. "Red Dawn" was the first released with PG-13.

4. Vader

Vader Supporting Actor

Derek
    Thanks, guys!

At least I know my memory is not completely shot (I was sorta right.... of course "close" only counts in hand granades and Keno [​IMG] )

5. Jefferson Morris

Jefferson Morris Supporting Actor

I always remembered Dreamscape as being the first. It was definitely among the first, right?

--Jefferson Morris

6. mattCR

mattCR Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt
    Yeah, I always thought it was Red Dawn.

7. Jefferson Morris

Jefferson Morris Supporting Actor

IMDB says that Red Dawn beat Dreamscape into U.S. theaters by five days.

Complicating matters is the fact that many films have been re-rated PG-13 after the fact, going all the way back to Spartacus.

--Jefferson Morris

8. Ian_H

Ian_H Supporting Actor

Only for the restored version from 1991 which added footage.
    What other films have had thier rating changed after the fact? If Temple of Doom was the catalyst for the Pg-13 why hasn't that been changed?

The Wild Bunch from what I remember when they released the "Director's Cut" was almost slapped with an NC-17 but because it was the same cut that previously been given an "R" that is the rating that stuck.

--Ian

9. Michael Martin

Michael Martin Screenwriter

AFAIK, ToD was never re-released for theatrical viewing after its initial run. Or at least it wasn't resubmitted to the ratings board. But I think it's more to do with the first.

Unless the movie is changed (added/deleted footage), movies don't get re-rated for video/DVD release.

10. Kevin Grey

Kevin Grey Cinematographer

Hasn't Midnight Cowboy since been downgraded to an "R"?

11. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    Star Trek The Motion Picture was rerated PG

12. Aaron Reynolds

Aaron Reynolds Screenwriter

Aaron Reynolds
    Temple of Doom was originally rated R, and just like on Jaws, Spielberg and his producers successfully argued with the MPAA and were awarded a PG. I believe there was a special caption below the PG on Temple of Doom strongly cautioning parents about the violence.

The subsequent discussion of the level of violence in the film spurred the MPAA to add an intermediate category between PG and R.

This is from memory of events 20 years in the past, so if someone can find references that confirm or refute parts of this, I won't be offended. [​IMG]

13. Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck Screenwriter

Bryan Tuck

It was altered from it's original version, too; of course, I always thought the original version should have been PG, anyway.

Of course, a film doesn't have to altered for a re-rating, just resubmitted. Psycho was unrated until 1984, when it recieved the R that it still carries, yet the film itself remains unaltered from when it was first shown in 1960.

Conventional wisdom would suggest that you can get more into certain films with a given rating nowadays. I guess that's true sometimes, but overall, I think the ratings are more restrictive now. You look at PG-rated films from the 1970s like Sleeper, The Outlaw Josey Wales, All the President's Men, and Annie Hall, and they would all be at least PG-13 now (Josey would probably be R, and President's Men definitely would).

I guess having the PG-13 rating led to a general reassessment of what could be allowed for the other ratings, although there has certainly been some inconsistency, but that's another thread. [​IMG]

14. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

The MPAA only issues ratings to films that have been submitted to them by the studio. Ratings are not automatic; they must be applied for and fees paid.

It's really not worth the expense to re-submit older films just to get a more restrictive rating.

But, yes, Spielberg was probably responsible for driving the creation of the PG-13 via "Temple of Doom," "Gremlins," and maybe even "Jaws". All were films that were deemed more intense than PG, yet not at the level of R.

15. ChrisBEA

ChrisBEA Screenwriter

I wrote a column on this last year for the 20th anniversary of the rating.
    http://blogcritics.org/archives/2005/04/24/005056.php

Gremlins and Temple of Doom were the reasons for the creation and Red Dawn the first in theaters.

I think the funniest rerating I've seen is Barbarella going from X to PG.

16. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    A ton of films have been re-rated, too many to mention. Most of the re-rated films are because they came out before M/GP was changed to the current PG, or because X is being changed to R/NC-17.

And then there's the huge group of films that were released prior to the ratings system but got a rating on a theatrical re-release. Such films as Psycho, Rear Window, Snow White, etc.

Most studios won't submit a film to be re-rated if it a) has a rating that is still currently in use, b) has had no change in content. That's why Raiders of the Lost Ark will never be resubmitted - it would go from PG to R.

17. Kevin Grey

Kevin Grey Cinematographer

Nah, I don't think Raiders (or Temple of Doom) would get an 'R' but a 'PG-13' is pretty much a certainty.

18. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I've always thought they've been much too lenient on giving G ratings to reissues of older movies- Gone With The Wind and Snow White were rated G last time they played in theaters, but I'd give them both a PG.

Strange thing when I watch a G-rated movie, I go looking for things that are 'wrong' with it [​IMG]

Interesting tidbit- when the PG-rated "Karate Kid" was shown on network TV, all uses of the word "sucks" were cut out. In 1991, "All I Want For Christmas" was released with a G rating, and included the phrase "that sucks."

19. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

I know when I sat down to watch Once Upon a Time in the West with my father this weekend, it said PG-13 on the back. Since it's a 1969 release, it must have been re-rated.

20. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway

One guy's face melts and another guy's head explodes. Plus, there are gunshot wounds worse than The Matrix, which is why it was rated R.