What's new

First Men In The Moon, anybody get it yet? (1 Viewer)

Ernesto Santos

Stunt Coordinator
I haven't read any reviews or impressions here yet. My local best buy doesn't have it and I'm pissed. :angry: I'm on my way to Circuit City with my fingers crossed.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
ALL of my usual haunts don't have it - Best Buy, Borders, Compact Disc World (a New Jersey chain), Circuit City, Sam Goody, Suncoast, NOBODY! I do know that Tower Video stocks it, but I didn't want to drive all the way to their store.

I was so annoyed I ended up ordering it from Deep Discount DVD and I should have it in tomorrow's mail.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I haven't found it yet either. I figure it's a catalog title that's being slow-freighted to stores to save on shipping.
That's cool, I still have TNG to watch, and watch, and watch, and watch... :laugh:

Henry V

Stunt Coordinator
If your talking about the DVD title "First MEN In The Moon" then I've been told by a local store manager that Columbia seriously underestimated the demand for this disc and underproduced it so that only a few stores got a handful of copies.I believe this initially happened with "North By Northwest" as well.IF this is true,then it explains the fact that no one in Toronto has a copy left in stock now though a small handful were sold the first day of release.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
...I actually recieved mine last Saturday, from a "well-known" online retailer.
Though in need of some restoration, it has never looked better.

gregstaten

Supporting Actor
Mine arrived this week from the always reliable Digital Eyes. (And I forgot to preorder it - I only placed the order last Saturday!)

-greg

Steve_AA

Agent
Local Best Buy had only 2 copies and I got one. Going to watch it tonight. I've never seen this film in its OAR...only on 4:3 TV versions. My favorite Harryhausen film.

Haven't seen it in about 20 years.

John Fleming

Stunt Coordinator
Ernesto,
I wasted no time picking up First Men in the Moon at the local Best Buy here in Cary (Raleigh/Durham area) the day after it was released. This has been a personal favorite of mine ever since I saw it as a kid. I too am impressed with the video quality, Mark_TS; let me state up front though that I've never seen the laserdisc version. I think considering the age of the film they also did a very admirable job with the audio as the surrounds DO kick in occasionally.
Overall, I'm very happy with the job that Columbia TriStar did on this DVD and very grateful that they realize there's a market for DVD transfers of (non-blockbuster and/or genre) films such as this. If a problem can be called "pleasant", I think it may be a good thing that the studio misjudged the interest in this title...not to make light of the fact that many of you can't get your hands on a copy locally. Maybe I'm being naive here, but hopefully the current (and temporary I'm sure) shortage of FMITM DVDs bodes well for future such releases.
I have to believe that anyone purchasing this DVD will be pleased with Columbia TriStar's effort - enjoy the fruits of their labor.
John

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks