First Men In The Moon, anybody get it yet?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ernesto Santos, Mar 29, 2002.

1. Ernesto Santos

Ernesto Santos Stunt Coordinator

I haven't read any reviews or impressions here yet. My local best buy doesn't have it and I'm pissed. [​IMG] I'm on my way to Circuit City with my fingers crossed.

2. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    ALL of my usual haunts don't have it - Best Buy, Borders, Compact Disc World (a New Jersey chain), Circuit City, Sam Goody, Suncoast, NOBODY! I do know that Tower Video stocks it, but I didn't want to drive all the way to their store.

I was so annoyed I ended up ordering it from Deep Discount DVD and I should have it in tomorrow's mail.

3. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

I haven't found it yet either. I figure it's a catalog title that's being slow-freighted to stores to save on shipping.
    That's cool, I still have TNG to watch, and watch, and watch, and watch... [​IMG]

4. Henry V

Henry V Stunt Coordinator

If your talking about the DVD title "First MEN In The Moon" then I've been told by a local store manager that Columbia seriously underestimated the demand for this disc and underproduced it so that only a few stores got a handful of copies.I believe this initially happened with "North By Northwest" as well.IF this is true,then it explains the fact that no one in Toronto has a copy left in stock now though a small handful were sold the first day of release.

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Mine arrived yesterday, from DVD Empire. Online still rules!

6. Mark_TS

Mark_TS Screenwriter

...I actually recieved mine last Saturday, from a "well-known" online retailer.
    Though in need of some restoration, it has never looked better.

7. gregstaten

gregstaten Supporting Actor

Mine arrived this week from the always reliable Digital Eyes. (And I forgot to preorder it - I only placed the order last Saturday!)

-greg

8. Steve_AA

Steve_AA Agent

Local Best Buy had only 2 copies and I got one. Going to watch it tonight. I've never seen this film in its OAR...only on 4:3 TV versions. My favorite Harryhausen film.

Haven't seen it in about 20 years.

9. Derek M Germano

Derek M Germano Second Unit

10. Larry Schneider

Larry Schneider Second Unit

DVD Empire came through for me as well. Reliable access to lesser known titles is a good reason to preorder.

11. John Fleming

John Fleming Stunt Coordinator

Ernesto,
    I wasted no time picking up First Men in the Moon at the local Best Buy here in Cary (Raleigh/Durham area) the day after it was released. This has been a personal favorite of mine ever since I saw it as a kid. I too am impressed with the video quality, Mark_TS; let me state up front though that I've never seen the laserdisc version. I think considering the age of the film they also did a very admirable job with the audio as the surrounds DO kick in occasionally.
    Overall, I'm very happy with the job that Columbia TriStar did on this DVD and very grateful that they realize there's a market for DVD transfers of (non-blockbuster and/or genre) films such as this. If a problem can be called "pleasant", I think it may be a good thing that the studio misjudged the interest in this title...not to make light of the fact that many of you can't get your hands on a copy locally. Maybe I'm being naive here, but hopefully the current (and temporary I'm sure) shortage of FMITM DVDs bodes well for future such releases.
    I have to believe that anyone purchasing this DVD will be pleased with Columbia TriStar's effort - enjoy the fruits of their labor.
    John