What's new

First (Major) Blu-ray release to have a MAR (1 Viewer)

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
I don't know how opening up the frame, if that results in more space on the top and bottom, makes it feel more intimate.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Originally Posted by FoxyMulder

I have never seen this third film in the series ( yet ) but looking at that shot of the Lion and the children from bluray.com my opinion is that the theatrical ratio looks better, the opened up 1.78:1 edition shows far more sand and just empty space before we see the childrens feet, it looks cinematically wrong to me, now it's great that the director approved it and all that but directors and studio's don't always make the right decisions, i'd have preferred a 2 disc edition with the choice of theatrical aspect ratio and 1.78:1 aspect ratio, give us the choice.

I would say this is a matter of opinion. Personally I think that modern movies tend to frame too tightly. I much prefer older films that use classical framing which used considerably more negative space. They weren't afraid to leave a little head room, or even to play whole scenes in a master shot. To me everything today looks like it was shot for television. Everything is a close up. Even the masters are head to toe.

Doug

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
The 1982 Mel Gibson war movie "Attack Force Z" recently made its debut on Blu-ray and it's a purchase I regret making, not because the movie stinks but because it's shown fullscreen and it's one of the worst transfers I've ever seen for BD. I didn't know much about the film so I'm thinking maybe this was a made for TV production but the trailer was in shown in 2.35:1.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Holy shit, now that takes the cake! The screencaps at Blu-ray.com would indicate that it is an open-matte transfer. But since the theatrical ratio was 1.85:1 why on earth would they pillar-box it on Blu-ray? Makes absolutely no sense. Obviously a bargain-basement video company not having the slightest idea of how to transfer a print to BD. I think we have a candidate for worst presentation on Blu-ray ever.

Originally Posted by Luisito34

The 1982 Mel Gibson war movie "Attack Force Z" recently made its debut on Blu-ray and it's a purchase I regret making, not because the movie stinks but because it's shown fullscreen and it's one of the worst transfers I've ever seen for BD. I didn't know much about the film so I'm thinking maybe this was a made for TV production but the trailer was in shown in 2.35:1.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Originally Posted by Brian Borst

I don't know how opening up the frame, if that results in more space on the top and bottom, makes it feel more intimate.

Because sometimes more is less.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks