What's new

First Look DVD Review: Joe Dirt - Special Ed. (1 Viewer)

AaronJB

Second Unit
joedirt1.jpg

joedirt2.jpg

Like many of the movies that David Spade has done recently, things didn't go particularly well for "Joe Dirt" at the box office. As Spade flicks go, it has some amusing moments, but doesn't take advantage of Spade's marvelous sarcastic abilities even as much as his show on NBC ("Just Shoot Me") does.
Yet, Tristar shocks and delivers a superb special edition DVD for the low-grossing pic. Presented in 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen and Dolby Digital 5.1, the picture looks and sounds great. The 5.1 audio isn't exactly demo-worthy, but the songs have some power behind them and there's the occasional surround effects.
The features are impressive, as well - Tristar has roped in actor David Spade for a feature-length commentary track. Although this won't go down as being as funny as some of the most entertaining tracks (Dude, Where's My Car?, Goonies, any Kevin Smith movie), but at least Spade gives it a try and carries the track pretty well, making fun of himself (at one point he says, "caution: acting!" during one of his scenes) and the movie. The other commentary is more technical, from director Dennie Gordon.
Also included are three minutes worth of occasionally very funny outtakes, three deleted scenes, trailers and filmographies.
Not for everyone, but if you like David Spade, you may want to check this one out as a rental.
Reviews of Forrest Gump, Safe, My Best Friend's Wedding:SE, Company Man and others are coming up.
My Site: A Guide To Current DVD
[Edited last by AaronJB on August 17, 2001 at 06:28 PM]

JeremyJones

Agent
I actually liked this movie. It isn't deep or anything, but it is pretty funny. Glad to see they packed it with extras.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks