First look at Gattaca Superbit : a definite improvement in picture

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Pierre Gagne, Dec 7, 2001.

1. Pierre Gagne

Pierre Gagne Agent

The new DVD of Gattaca really outshines the old version in terms of picture and, to a lesser degree, sound. Colors are very important in this movie and the superbit edition improves them significantly. I tell you, this is not a slight improvement, it jumps right into your face. My set is a 50in 4X3 RPTV and it clearly shows. Gattaca is not a reference quality DVD though, it is not in the same league as The Fifth Element. You'll still have some grain (mosquito noise appears in certain scenes).
    As for sound, I prefer the DTS track. Gattaca is no demo material either in that regard, but I think the gain from DTS reflects mostly with the music. The terrific Michael Nyman's score has a more open soundfield in DTS. Also, I found that the sound is richer is certain scenes. I test, for example, the scene where Ethan Hawke is jogging. The sound of the beating heart playing is more pronounced with the DTS track.
    The only thing important that you'll lose over the old version is the deleted scenes. Most of them are really interesting. Just for that, I'm keeping both versions.
    Gattaca is one of my favorite science fiction movie of all time. Multiple viewings will only make you like the movie even more, finding new meanings to certain aspects dealt with in the film. The movie starts with this phrase:"In the not too distant future". Each time I play it, I say to myself that we're really really getting nearer to that future.
    Highly recommended.
    Pierre

2. Troy LaMont

Troy LaMont Supporting Actor

Pierre,

Thanks for the informative write-up. I'll be picking this one up on 12/11.

Troy

3. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

So just to make sure I understand your review correctly. The Superbits DVD is worth paying $8 more to lose the trailers, featurette, and deleted scenes/outtakes?

4. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    It's a trade-off for better sound & picture. [​IMG]

5. Troy LaMont

Troy LaMont Supporting Actor

LukeB,
    Have you actually seen any of the supplement material? I don't own the movie but I just recently rented it and watched it. The movie itself is what made me want to own it and the fact that the Superbit is coming I thought I'd pick up the best-of-the-best.
    I don't think you'll be missing much if you got the Superbit version, the extras aren't really all that. The deleted scenes were nice but nothing to write home about.
    Troy

6. Pierre Gagne

Pierre Gagne Agent

Luke,

Once you get a look at the superbit version, you'll notice right away that the old version is not as colorful. Sharpness and contrast are also better on the new one. The comparaison between the two makes the old one a bit disappointing.

My recommandation stands more about seeing the movie. The best way to see it is with the superbit version, no doubt.

Pierre

7. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Pierre,

With the initial batch of Superbits, there was a lot of debate regarding the level of improvement that they offered. If you had a chance to compare the earlier discs & their previous incarnations, would you say that the Gattaca disc has a greater level of improvement?

Thanks,

Dave

8. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

As this is one of my very favorite movies, I will be picking this one up as well as keeping my original DVD.

9. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

I thought that Gattaca was one of the few discs where the deleted scenes were actually worthwhile. I'm sure it looks/sounds better, I just can't bring myself to own 2 copies of the same movie.

10. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
  11. Luis A

Luis A Second Unit

Pierre,
    I 2nd your review. IMO the Super Bit version of Gattaca is the best presentation of this film so far.[​IMG]
    L

12. EvanB

EvanB Stunt Coordinator

I think that this film is very underrated, and I applaud Columbia Tristar (or whoever it is) for releasing this film on Superbit. I am looking forward to seeing this title again in the highest quality possible.

13. Dave H

Dave H Producer

No amount or quality of supplemental material will sway me from higher quality video/audio - even if it's slight.

14. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

I thought it was a definite step up, but the improvements didn't mirror the Desperado Superbit. Gattaca still had noticable artifacts, but the color and contrast were much better. The sound was very good, bordering on great. All in all, worth picking up.

Bruce

15. Kyle Milligan

Kyle Milligan Stunt Coordinator

I pretty much agree with Pierre, if you have to pick one, the Superbit is the way to go.
    The deleted scene "CODA" on Gattaca (first disc) is quite good though, and I think if nothing else, the inclusion of that on the Superbit DVD would be the best of both worlds, and I'm sure they could afford the space for that 3 minute piece.
    Our comment is here.

16. Sam Hatch

Sam Hatch Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the lowdown.

I've got no problem with owning two copies of this wonderful movie. Call me a superbit suckah!

17. Mikael Soderholm

Mikael Soderholm Supporting Actor

Mikael Söderholm

18. PhilipG

PhilipG Cinematographer

After my first viewing of Gattaca, a few years back on *ack* pan/scam VHS (my Dad rented it), I wasn't that impressed. However, after my second time through, watching the SuperBit version, I was blown away! What an incredible movie! Rarely do I change my mind so radically from two screenings. [​IMG]
    Since I only have the SuperBit version, would someone kindly let me know what happens in these deleted scenes?

19. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

20. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Brian, I saw Gattaca in the theaters and can't vouch either way (whether it was supposed to be drab or not). I'm picking up the SB version this week and I'll post my comments in this thread later.