First laptop purchase

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Michael Mohrmann, Aug 6, 2003.

1. Michael Mohrmann

Michael Mohrmann Screenwriter

We are about to purchase a laptop for use as follows:
    • Primary use as a "desktop" for our 11 year old daughter, who is not into video games much
    • Be able to play DVD movies on frequent 1-2 hour trips to visit family and 6 hour trips to Disneyland
    • Be able to download photos from digital cameras while on trips
    • Be able to access the Internet throughout the house via wireless connection
    What would be the minimum processor, RAM, screen type (XGA, SXGA+, etc.) and video card/memory needed to accomplish the above? Any suggestions for a laptop under $1500?

Thanks,

Michael

2. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

Heck, if you live in Cupertino, shouldn't the obvious answer be an iBook? [​IMG] Includes a DVD-ROM/CD-RW is wireless capable for $1300 or less. An extra $200 nets you the larger screen

3. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Screenwriter

The iBook with Combo drive would be a good choice. You'd want to add more RAM (maybe from Crucial -- Apple RAM can be expensive), and an AirPort card to access your wireless base station/router.

If you custom-ordered the iBook, you could get an upgrade from a 40GB HD to a 60GB HD for $50. I would recommend that upgrade.

4. Jason Merrick

Jason Merrick Supporting Actor

Jason Merrick
    Your requirements are nothing big, I do all of those things on my 2-year old Dell Inspiron 8500, which is a Pentium III-M 866, 256 Ram, 15" SXGA screen, D-Link wifi card.

Practically any laptop you can find will be able to do what you need. Keep checking the Deals page (gotapex.com) and you will find an amazing deal on a Dell laptop eventually.

I am not an Apple guy, but I'm sure you would be very happy with an iBook, as they are great computers.

5. Michael Mohrmann

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. I should have specified ahead of time that we were looking for a Windows-based PC given the software we own. [​IMG]

6. Jason Merrick

Jason Merrick Supporting Actor

Jason Merrick
    I'm not saying go buy a PIII-M... but yeah, I think you can get by with just about any P4-Mobile on the market today.

Oh, and a quick correction, my Inspiron is an 8100, not an 8500.

7. Michael Mohrmann

Jason,

8. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman
    I ordered an Inspiron 8500 Sunday night. I can't wait till it gets here. Probably won't get it till early to middle of next week. It's going to be a desktop replacement for a P3-500.

I got a great deal because the company my wife works for has employee discounts with Dell. I ended up saving close to $400 (on Sunday night. Looks like I would sve about $250 on the same config at the current prices after the big rebate.

That current deal looks pretty good though for people that don't have the options I had. I did however order the 256MB 1 DIMM RAM option, and I bought another 512MB through Crucial for 1/3 the cost of adding the same through Dell. The 512MB DIMM is sitting here on my desk waiting for the computer to arrive so I can drop it in.

9. John*C

John*C Stunt Coordinator

My first post on HTF I have a Dell I8500, just got it about 2 weeks ago, has the WSXVGA+, 1680 X 1550, 15.4" diaginol,512MB of RAM (2 Dimm), 16 X 10 monitor (wide screen), L.C.D. monitor pixel pitch .197.

I have it hooked up to the ethernet at 100 Mbps. I would say for $1700+(including a Dell 2 year warranty) after a $350 and a $75 rebate I got a pretty good deal. Dell's First 16 X 10 to play your wide screen movies on, or to put them on your HDTV was easier than I thought.

10. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman
    John*C, how do you like the I8500 in general? I'm still waiting for mine to ship.

Mine cost a bit more than yours, but that's because I got the port replicator and some other essential extras and essential upgrades that I need to be able to use this thing for my business.

11. Bryce

Bryce Stunt Coordinator

My suggestion would be to keep browsing the Dell outlet, especially when they have their best sale which is up to $450 off. I just purchased a 8500 with WUXGA, XP Pro, DVD burner, integrated wifi card, extra battery, and 64 mb Geforce 5200 card for roughly $1400. I configured the same exact system through their website and it would have run me almost a thousand dollars more. The key is to just keep checking it whenever you have a chance. Eventually you can find a pretty good deal, but be quick when you find one you like because they seem to get snatched up rather quickly.