First impressions of The Vines

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MikeH1, Sep 20, 2002.

1. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

I have been hearing lots about this group in magazines and newspapers. All I can say is after a first listen of 5 songs is that its great music. Something a little different from the guitar driver angst of the Nicklebacks that my local radio stations love to play (and they do like to play--your sick of the overplayed "remind me"? Try living in Alberta where their from!)
    I"ll be checking more into these bands and am about to get aqainted with The Hives too. Any other bands that fit the profile I should check into?
    Leave it to the Brits to get things moving when rock starts getting stale [​IMG]
    oh yeah I almost forgot ( I need to start getting into this habit)
    N/P The Vines

2. Benson R

Benson R Supporting Actor

I think I'm gonna pick up their album but I'm on a budget for a little while so I may not be able to get until next month. I love the single "Get Free." But how is the rest of the album. I like the single enough that I will give the rest of the album a chance but I would like to hear other peoples thoughts.

3. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

The truth is I'm not sure how the rest of the disc is. I have a number of songs but the album they are from eludes me.
    I guess you got to buy them all![​IMG]

4. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

The Vines are pretty good. However, after seeing their horrible performance on Letterman a couple weeks back I'm not sure they'd be much fun live.

5. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

6. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

7. Jason Wilcox

Jason Wilcox Supporting Actor

the strokes....white stripes...violent femmes

check em out

8. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Its nothing bad, but whats the deal with all these 'classic rock' sounding bands coming up? Were they there all along and nobody realized how good they were, or has this style of music just popped up recently?

9. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

I think they have always been there but with todays saturated corporate american music scene that people are grasping at something new even if its old. At least these bands sing themselves and most importantly write their own.

And for some cool sounding 80s techno like music check out Fischerspooner. Wild stuff.

10. Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer Screenwriter

11. BrianB

BrianB Producer

If you want a great new rock album, go grab the latest CD by Sleater Kinney.

12. Ryan Spaight

Ryan Spaight Supporting Actor

13. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

I too caught their video on late night Mtv, and I got the exact same vibe from them that I got from my first exposure to the Strokes ("Well, it's not the most original thing in the world, but it's got 10 time more soul than anything else in the mainstream).

The video immediately harkened back to Refused's "new noise" with the large lighting rig behind the band, the general style and look of the guys in the band.

I think I might check out their record- again- I don't think they're all that great- but I'll do anything to push mainstream music back in a moderately enjoyable direction.

I dunno- it's actually fluctuated a bit in the underground for a while. There has been this kinda garage-rock thing geting really popular again since the late 90's- and I think some more "polished" acts have stumbled into the concept and are riding it back to the forefront.

Again, my official policy continues to be: well it ain't amazing, but it could certainly be worse (thanks goes out to pop acts like Spears and the Backstreet Boys for so gloriously lowering our standards!)

I'm all for scrawny kids with messed up hair and leather jackets reminding the world how to rock.

-Vince

NP: International Noise Conspiracy

14. Gui A

Gui A Supporting Actor

Check out The Mooney Suzuki ... They're another MC5-inspired band... that also dresses in matching black outfits, but without the white ties/shoes.
    Sammy James Jr, much like Howlin' Pelle, really know how to work the crowd live, calling themselves the hardest working band in show business right now... and when they open for The Hives, and then do their own headline show in the same night, it's kinda true...
    They're doing another show in Toronto on Oct 15... Check out their site to see when the next date is...
    www.themooneysuzuki.com
    NP - Puffy AmiYumi / Spike / check out the sig

15. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I can't stand The Strokes, The Vines did not impress me, however I do like the "Violent Femmes"-esque White Stripes so far.