1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

First impressions from the DLS (TINY MIGHTY) Long!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff-Watson, Feb 18, 2003.

1. Jeff-Watson

Jeff-Watson Stunt Coordinator

Well needless to say I am very satisfied with a few of the results so far. Having switched from the Wm40 I was hoping for the Dls to match the output at least of the Sony. Several positive reviews, as well as a smaller package convinced me to give it a shot. Results so far:

Clean response from 100hz down to 26hz. Yes 26hz. I have a small room mind you 12x13 ft but still that is very respectable. There is considerable roll off after 30hz but for a $99 sub to reach 26hz audibly is fantastic to say the least. Still a little new at this HT thing but I am more than happy with this little subs performance. At 26hz it offers a few less dbs than the Sony (12" vs 10" -maybe) but it blends in with my system so much better. The frequency sweep of my S&V setup disk shows little variation in my setup. Just a few dbs hot around 50hz but smooth all the way across the board.

Now where this sub really shines. Musically this sub put my Sony to shame. No matter what I did I just could not get the Sony to seamlessly blend in with my mains. It always sounded a little muddy even after mods. The Dls however makes me love music in the theater room again. Tight,clean,undistorted bass. $99 I have to remind myself of this. I really was expecting to be let down but a plucked bass sounds plucked. A kick drum now kicks and doesn't boom.

Overall this sub is not going to break the SPL sound barrier but it is a small 10" sub that behaves much larger and yet has the refined characteristics of a much more expensive sub. The Wm40 was and still is a great sub. Simply put the DLS IS BETTER!! Glad I made the change. I still feel the bass in the movies I have tested so far and music sounds pleasant again.

$99 and 10" = One hell of a deal.[​IMG]

2. DavidLC

DavidLC Agent

Regarding use of the S&V setup disk....
    How do you tell that what freq. you are at? I have not been able to find anything other than the sweep - which seems to be a steady descending tone. Are you using a separate tone disk?

3. Jeff-Watson

Yes. I have a seperate disk I made with my PC for those tests. Very easy to do with the right stuff. Do a search for test tones and you will see several links to sites offering tones and tone generators.

4. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

Jeff,
    Your results are right there with mine. I wasn't sure that the 25hz I was getting for the DLS made sense- also in a small space mind you. I later tweaked and got a consistent 28Hz from almost anywhere I put it, but the 25-26Hz only in certain areas of the room. The roll off was substantial though as you say after 28Hz. I too found it to run hot at around 50hz- interesting. Not bad for $99.00. I love it for the money and thank Brian and Geoff L again for they are the reason I own this sub. Happy listening!

5. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Jose,

You're very welcome! Glad I could help. Just remember me when you're ready to upgrade! [​IMG]

6. Jeff-Watson

Well other than the auto on problem I am experiencing, the little dls is kicking out great sound. It seems partsexpress is stepping up to plate so far. I will be interested to see what their response is to all of the different issues but for the $99 still a bargain. I dare say maybe the best audio bargain going. [​IMG]

7. Colin Walmsley

I just got mine today, and im very impressed. It adds a whole new dimension to music especially. Hope you all get your problems with it worked out. Thanks to everyone for recommending such a great little sub.

8. BrianJ>Y

BrianJ>Y Stunt Coordinator

Do all you DLS owners feel that the it's capable of outputting say around 100-105db(above 28hz) in a room 22x16x9 sitting about 9 feet from the sub(corner loaded)?

Still can't decide between this and the audiosource 15, think two of these DLS subs would be better?

Oh and another thing...is the warranty for this sub only 90 days? If so, that's an awfully short warranty.

-Brian

9. RussB

RussB Auditioning

Jeff, We are in the same boat. I just got my DLS yesterday and thought that my system (H/K 225 and JBL NSP-1) sounded good before, but I am blown away now! Thanks to the help of others here I am very happy with my new home theater system.

Russ

10. tommy_esq

tommy_esq Stunt Coordinator

Russ, what xover point are you using with your JBL NSP/DLS 10 set up? 80? 100?

I'll be running the same set up once my DLS gets here in the next few days. I have a Denon 1803 with a few sub set up options that I haven't really fiddled with yet.

11. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

BrianJ>Y,,,Yes I think so. I got 106db out of it on the fly by scene on STAR WARS II with the DLS under my corner table 3' away from seating. My room is 24X12 with 10' ceilings. When testing it for the comparison to the Sony at 10' away it was achievable in my room, to hit 102db at -10 with a +8db calibration with the Cinema EQ engaged. The Audio should put out more for HT?

12. BrianJ>Y

BrianJ>Y Stunt Coordinator

Great, thanks Steve. I currently have a JBL 10in 100 watt sub, I think I'll use it along with the DLS, should be enough bass for me until I have enough for an svs.

How about that warranty for the DLS, only 90 days?

-Brian

13. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

The audiosource 15- depending on how much you put into it- has a very good reputation in HTF land, but two DLS subs might take it- try it and let us know [​IMG]

What do you think, Steve? Not against the Velo 15 though, right?

Russ,
    How do you like that HK225 by the way? I love that little entry level HK unit.

Glad to hear you guys are happy with the "Tiny Mighty" besides that auto on/off issue for some of you.

14. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

You know I would strongly consider two DLS's placed that far away from seating BrianJ. The Fly-By is a hot scene and you have a larger room. Now for $200 that would still be a great buy and you then could coast them along> Better sound/less strain[​IMG] .________________________________
    I did a little test against a very popular sub here on the Forum the other day Jose. I will take my dual any day. There was no comparison in my eyes. You always speak truth Jose._____________________________________________ _

EDIT> Whoops! I see you do plan on duel BrianJ. Yes good Idea and definitely the way to go.

15. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Steve,

I got your email. I'll get back with you later this evening.

16. RussB

RussB Auditioning

Tommy- I have the x-over set to 100 now, based on some info that I read here.

Jose- Just got the 225 a few days ago. Love it so far, but will let ya know when I get a few more movies watched.

Russ

17. Chuck Bogie

Chuck Bogie Second Unit

On multiple DLSes... Let's say I stacked a few - Would this just allow "louder" or would I see "lower" at "reasonable" volumes?

Mine's currently on the Little Brown Truck!

18. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

I don't see why you couldn't stack 2 and get at least +3db across the board - add EQ and bring up the bottom and lower some peaks and with a steep HPF you'd be set! ~$250 for a dual 10" active stack with EQ? Cool!

19. Chuck Bogie

Chuck Bogie Second Unit

Uh... Could someone translate that last bit?

20. Hal_J

Hal_J Agent

ok, i've been reading about the sub for the last 3-4 months. i've been watching the parts express website for availability. i've been telling myself i could wait another month.

whatever, i just ordered mine. [​IMG]

i'm running paradigm focus/matched center for my fronts, and im wondering if anyone has this setup with the DLS? how do you have the crossover freq set?

thanks. i look forward to the improvement to my current, sub-less system.

Hal