First impression of Sony's SCDCE595

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Lee Distad, Aug 2, 2004.

1. Lee Distad

Lee Distad Stunt Coordinator

I have to say up front that over the past 11 years I have carried on a love/hate (and sometimes a hate/hate) relationship with Sony's products.

To that end, I have never been especially fond of Sony's non-ES product. And some of the ES gear has annoyed me profoundly, come to think of it.

But rather than let this slide into a tirade, I will get to the point. The other day I unboxed our demo SCDCD595 and installed it into our room with the new Denon AVR2805S and the Energy C5's.

Externally, it looks just like another ho-hum black Sony 5-disc CD changer. However, the buttons on the console include two related to the SACD playback. The CD/SACD button allows the user (and probably more often, the salesman doing a demo) to select the format on hybrid discs. The Multi/Stereo button allows you to select the 2-channel or multi-channel soundtrack.

Let's cut to the chase here, at CDN$269.00 we're not talking about Esoteric gear here, or even a Denon DVD2900 or suchlike. I'm not going to blather on in Stereophilingua about tonal hue, transparent transients or subspace particle phase accumulators.

Does it sound good? Yes, it does.

Could I hear a noticable difference toggling between the SACD/CD format on my hybrid demo discs? Yes, I did.

Is this the sort of price point that Sony needs to hit to allow SACD to strike a chord with Joe Consumer? Pretty much. Let's face it, on the mass consumer side, $2000 CD players fly about as well as a paralysed ostrich.

Parting remarks:

1) I hooked it up with our collection of free cables that come in the box.

2) It is a Sony, so buying the extended warranty from your dealer is probably a good idea...

2. David_Rivshin

David_Rivshin Second Unit

Lee,
    Have you also heard a CE755? If so how does the CE595 compare? Complaints have been lodged against Sony's previous SACD players (even the venerable 555ES) that the bass management is basically useless if you care about sound quality. Do you know anything about the BM in the CE595?
    It would be nice if they got it right this time.

Thanks,
    -- Dave

3. Lee Distad

Well David, I haven't gone so far as to actually read the manual yet, so I don't really know. Certainly there's not a lot of adjustments I noted on the faceplate.

When I have more time,I'll monkey around with it.

4. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Supposedly they are coming out with an ES version. I may get one of those...

5. Lee Distad

We've got the SCD2000ES on order, but since Sony stands for Soon Only Not Yet, I don't have an eta on when I'm gonna see one.

6. James W. Johnson

James W. Johnson Screenwriter

How does this guy compare to the older 222/333/555ES players as far as the SACD circuitry goes?

7. Lee Distad

Here's a cut and paste from Sony's website for the SCDCE595:

More of interest to me would be the durability of the ES unit, with it's bigger transformer, and beefier spindle motor over the regular-line Sony Audio gear.

8. Seth--L

Seth--L Screenwriter

So has anyone compared this SACD player to universal players in the same price range? The obvious question is how much does ditching the video components improve the SACD playback quality while keeping the price down. Sony's 5 disc DVD/SACD changer is $100 more. Does that mean the video parts cost $100?

9. James W. Johnson

Yesterday night I went to BB and got a good look at this player..it really does seem much better built than there typical low end stuff. Its just an lb or so less than the C2000ES due out shortly and after looking it over I have to believe that the face plate is probably the only difference.

Its on sale @ Circuit City for $142.99 ..I think I am going to give it a try.

10. Lee Distad

I've had a chance to play with it a little more, and I have concluded that it's a nice unit for the price. Certainly for the average consumer, it's a reasonable unit at a fairly entry level price.

11. James W. Johnson

The first thing I did was open mine up and have a look inside, it has a seperate power supply and id be willing to bet that the audio board is similar to that of the new C2000ES.
    Scroll to the bottom of the link in my sig for pics..

12. Grant B

Grant B Producer

I hear the subspace particle phase accumulators are particularly good on this model....just don't press the 'wormhole' key on the remote.....ooops!